Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Output averages with the pump?

Default Output averages with the pump?

Just wondering, this is my 2nd weekend back to work. [I work 7pm-730am friday and saturday NIGHTS]

Last weekened went over well. In just 3 pumping sessions [1030pm,3am, and 730am] I got 18 ounces total, that was friday night.

Im on call tonight, but last night I pumped around same times, and I got 17 ounces total.

I've been finding that I pump approx. or very close to how many hours its been since I last pumped.

For example, if I go 4-5 hrs between pumping sessions, I get around 5 ounces.

today I pumped at 830am, and then went to sleep and didnt pump again until 3pm and I got 6 ounces. [in 6 hrs].

So, its seems like my output average is about an ounce per hour.

I just thought this was kind of interesting. I figure that is normal, but I wasnt sure.

I honestly don't even NEED to pump while at work over night [DD STTN] or just pump once instead of twice, but I only do it to keep my supply up [stimulation], b/c I have to sleep the following day....not sure if there is any way to get around that without my supply tanking. [even though my supply would pick back up soon as im back to my normal schedule with DD....right?!?

eta: i have sooo much milk in my freezer that I am not only barely touching that milk right now, but im also having to freeze most all of the milk I pump while at work, b/c its just sooo much and im way ahead of myself right now. She probably drinks from bottles between 36-42 ounces from friday AM to sunday around 1 pm [and i nurse her in between all afternoon friday and sunday morning and sunday afternoon]

what do you think?

Default Re: Output averages with the pump?

Your pumping output sounds right on target at 1 oz/hour. It also sounds like your breasts have fairly high storage capacity - here's the link from LLLKaren to the article "The Magic Number" which talks about this concept.

You either need to pump while you're at work, or pump or nurse during your post-work day while you're trying to get sleep, otherwise your supply will drop. I mean, you really do not want to go 24 hours without pumping or nursing! Despite your freezer stash I would still be careful about your supply. (I have A LOT of milk in the freezer but won't back down on pumping until close to a year - just don't want to risk it!). Anyway, it's always nice to have the freezer stash, because even if things are going well now, you don't know whether you'll have supply dips in the future for which you need the freezer backup - personally it makes me feel a lot more relaxed knowing that the freezer stash is there.

No, I would definately continue to pump while at work overnight...just for that reason, to keep my supply up, b/c i wont be using my breasts hardly much the following day.

what i decided to do, at this time, is just drop my evening pumping session that i was doing around 10 pm on nights im not at work [which is sunday thru thursday]. i had been doing that since DD was a week old to build a freezer stash. and i just got so used to it and was afraid to cut it out. but i dont NEED anymore milk right now. I really need to start using what I have froze. i can always add that pumping session back if i need to.

I was actually thinking about that, because after I posted last night I remembered a previous thread where you were talking about doing that. Yes, I would definitely cut out the pumping on your non-working days, rather than cutting down on the pumping on your working days. It's great that you have good pumping output and a good freezer reserve!

You sound like you have a good plan and strategy already. Just a couple ideas, from one working mama to another ...

-Even if you have an abundant supply, be cautious about going more than 3 hours without pumping at work when separated from baby, even if you don't "need" the milk. You might not see a supply difference right away, or even in one week or several... but if you consistently stretch out your time intervals between pump sessions, it will have an effect at some point.
    -If you have a huge freezer stash, you might consider starting to rotate through it (this is my situation), i.e. on the days it makes sense, freeze your freshly pumped milk and give the day care provider your oldest thawed milk from your stash for baby to eat.
    -If you STILL have milk in your stash that will expire before you can use it, consider donating to a milk bank! https://www.hmbana.org/ Being a donor mom feels really good