Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly asking for milk

Default Constantly asking for milk

I am still breastfeeding my 15 month old DD, A2. She knows the sign for "milk" and lately she is asking for it constantly. She gets so upset if I tell her no or to wait. She is wanting to nurse every hour or so. Just all the time. It's like she's a newborn again! It's getting a bit wearing. She eats well so I know she is not hungry. She drinks lots and lots of water. It's more of just a comfort thing to her. What should I do? Should I just give in and nurse her when she asks? Or should I make her wait a bit like I have been? My first DD self weaned at 13 months and I didn't push it, so this is kind of new territory to me.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Constantly asking for milk

Molars!!

What is your goal for nursing? Personally, at 15 months I'm still an on-demand nurser. I would try not to say no, but "first let's do x,y,z and then we can nurse." She may be a little young for that kind of reasoning yet.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't plan to wean any time soon. I figure I'll let her go as long as she wants. I don't mind. I love it. I was so sad when my first stopped so early. (for me 13 months was not nearly as long as I wanted) I just have no idea what the typical norm is for extended breastfeeding. Because she doesn't really need it for nutrition anymore you know? I love nursing her and I love that she loves it. So I guess I will just continue to on demand feed her again
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Why don't you think she needs it nutritionally? I disagree with that assessment. I like nursing my toddler partially because then I don't worry about what she does or doesn't eat. She's 22 months old and has been nursing a ton lately - I think 2 year molars, maybe separation anxiety - I'm not sure. She eats a lot of food too.

If you were planning on weaning sometime soon, then you might want to push limits. And if you're feeling overwhelmed with nursing, etc., then set limits for sure. But you don't HAVE to set limits, if you don't want to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree, you don't have to set limits. But at this age, I think you can set limits and that they can understand them. Especially if all you want is for them to wait a little while so you can get other things done. I also agree with Tracie that trying to avoid saying no to nursing can help you avoid meltdowns about it. I used to try and say, "yes we can nurse when we get home/after I'm done cooking dinner/when I'm finished talking on the phone" or just skip the question altogether and say, "how about a snack? do you want something to drink?"

It is definitely a prime time for molars and if that's what's going on, nursing helps with her pain so I don't think you're setting a bad precedent by nursing frequently. When the pain is gone it's likely she'll stop asking so often. It could also be, if she's only just now learned the sign, that she's practicing this new skill. I remember when my daughter realized she could communicate with signs she went NUTS with them for a little while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you everyone! Yes I agree that it does supplement her nutrition, what I should have said is that she doesn't depend on it soley for nutrition. I have used the distraction techinique, and making sure she gets a snack too if she needs. I've always had an abundant supply of milk but it just seems so much less anymore that I wonder how much she is really getting? I don't pump because she won't drink it out of a cup or bottle. All I know is I never get full anymore. But then again I always struggled with OS so this is probably just how I am at a Normal supply haha. Sorry for the tangent.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I have a 15 month old and had to go away at night recently. She still night nurses but I was also skeptical of how much I was making. I pumped 12 oz that evening and was surprised it was that much! She's probably getting more than you think.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

You're probably right. I should pump just to see haha. She still night nurses as well. I've got her down to only 2 or 3 times a night now instead of the 6-8 times that it was, just because I can't handle the sleep deprivation anymore.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!