Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to supplement without decreasing supply

Default How to supplement without decreasing supply

We think DS has a posterior tongue tie and a lip tie and are waiting to see the dentist to have it revised.

In the meantime we have started supplementing at the breast because of his low weight gain.

Currently I am using expressed BM with a homemade SNS system. I have been putting him to the breast, letting him eat until he falls asleep or gets fussy (usually 30-60 mins), then offering him 1 oz which he has always eaten. I've been doing this 4 times a day, not at every feed. I then pump always after supplementing.

Does this seem like a good plan? I'm really hoping to keep my supply up while waiting for this tongue and lip tie to improve so we won't have to keep supplementing.

Default Re: How to supplement without decreasing supply

Yes, as long as you are pumping the supplements rather than using a can of formula or milk from a freezer stash, you're keeping your supply equal to baby's needs which means that you shouldn't have supply issues when you transition to breastfeeding without supplements. And using the SNS eliminates the risk of bottle preference, which is also good.

Let us know how things go!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I am actually using milk from my freezer stash and freezing the stuff I pump so I use up the older milk. Should I not be doing that? I'm not sure that I am pumping a full 4 oz per day to make up for the 4 oz that we are giving DS. So technically that might affect my supply right?

If you're close you're probably okay. I totally understand the desire to rotate out the older stuff in the freezer, but I think it makes sense to use the fresh milk when it's fresh. Maybe use half and half, old and new?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much!

Fresh is probably better, I agree. I will start using it. Probably has better antibodies, nutrients, etc.