Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lingering nipple soreness -- how long for bites to heal?

Default lingering nipple soreness -- how long for bites to heal?

Recent nipple soreness has me a little stumped. It's only on one side. I read everything on kellymom about nipple soreness causes and ruled out most of it (clogged duct, thrush, blebs, etc). The only thing I can think of is that it's related to biting, but I feel like the pain should have gone away by now. About two weeks ago, we had biting issues with teething for several days. Baby bit me on that side hard enough to break the skin. I followed instructions on kellymom about caring for cuts (salt water washes, polysporin, gel pads) and it healed within two days. And after a few days of gentle discipline around the biting, we have been bite-free nursing for about a week now (hooray!). But there is lingering soreness in that nipple. It doesn't LOOK any different from the other side, it just is sore and hurts a bit every time I nurse (regardless of position) and when I pump. The pain hasn't gotten any worse over time, but it also isn't getting any better. Is it possible it just takes that long for the bite injury to heal?? Or could something else be going on?

Default Re: lingering nipple soreness -- how long for bites to heal?

Bump!

Hm. It seems possible that it could still have some healing to do even though there's no damage that you can see, but I'm really not sure.

The pain is in the same place where the skin was broken? And you didn't have any soreness before the bite, right?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: lingering nipple soreness -- how long for bites to heal?

Correct, no soreness before the biting. The pain is in the general area where the skin was broken (direct hit from those sharp bottom center teeth!), but also has become slightly more diffuse, throughout the bottom half of the nipple.