Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can drying up be reversed??

Default can drying up be reversed??

Hello again! I have been producing less and less milk the last few weeks and now am not producing enough for my LO.
    I have had to supplement with formula and am only producing about 6oz a day
    This is my third child I have BF and this time have been able to BF for the longest time (8 whole weeks) so I am happy about that at least but would love to continue! This is what happened (almost overnight) both my breasts, especially the right, became very hard and sore and no matter how often I nursed or tried to pump to get relief they were still hard and sore- AND hardly any milk was coming out. Since then I have been producing less and less. Luckily I had some frozen to use as well! Now, I nurse him when he is hungry and he is still very hungry after emptying both breasts so I give him formula. Should I pump after he feeds to try to produce more?? I hate the fact of being done BFing!!!!!! And hate giving him formula even worse!!! My dr. did mention that my hypothyroid meds may dwindle my production.....any tips on ow to boost it up again for my LO???

Default Re: can drying up be reversed??

How often are you feeding the baby at the breast during the day?

Way too lazy for formula

whenever he is hungry so about every 2 to 3 hours. sometimes I don't think he gets anything...

How much are you supplementing?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    How much are you supplementing?
    I would say he gets about 60% formula 40% breastmilk. About every other feeding he needs some formula to top him off and sometimes this will be about 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*morris5 View Post
    I would say he gets about 60% formula 40% breastmilk. About every other feeding he needs some formula to top him off and sometimes this will be about 3 oz.
    Because you're using a fairly large amount of formula, you're probably going to need to drop the supplements gradually instead of all at once. This link explains how to do it: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/. Basically, you decrease the amount of supplement by a little bit every day, compensating by nursing more and perhaps pumpng in addition to nursing.

Your doc was totally incorrect about hypothyroid medications being bad for breastmilk supply. I don't know why he invented that little gem! If you're taking replacement thyroid hormone (e.g. Synthroid or levothyroxine), that is only replacing what your body would normally make. It is when a mom is hypothyroid and is not taking enough medication that her milk supply can be effected. Since postpartum thyroiditis is common even in women who have not had thyroid issues before pregnancy, this is a good time to see your GP or endocrinologist and get your TSH tested.

You are definitely NOT done breastfeeding, and if you nurse more and pump more you're going to get your milk supply up and you will go on to nurse this baby for as long as you want!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"