Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged milk duct, I think...

Default Clogged milk duct, I think...

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a hard wedge like lump in my right breast. As soon as I got home from work I put my baby on my breast and it was resolved after one feeding. Last night I woke up at about 6am to go to the bathroom and noticed that feeling again. My daughter was spending the night at my mom's (I pumped just before I went to bed) so I couldn't put her on my breast. I massaged the area while I pumped but I definitely noticed that i pumped a lot less milk than I normally do considering it had been quite a few hours since I pumped or breastfed. The wedge didn't go away and I went back to sleep and woke up and I'm sitting with a diaper filled with hot water on my breast and I'm going to pump again right after this. My daughter will be back at about 11. Anything else I should be doing besides lots of feedings and hot compresses? She's 7 mos old and I never had these issues before!!! I should also add that I don't see any white dot on my nipple. I've been reading things online and everyone keeps talking about "seeing" the clog duct. I don't see anything!
    Last edited by @llli*babiestl; November 17th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: Clogged milk duct, I think...

Feedings- not feelings!!!

You don't have to see a white dot for there to be a plugged duct. In addition to feeding and compresses, try massaging your breast, while hand-expressing at the same time (you press on the area that's hard while hand-expressing to let it squirt out - start with the hard part closest to the nipple and then work your way up). Try doing the same in the shower. I've also seen the suggestion on the forum to nurse in the shower, though haven't tried that myself. Also, massage the plugged area while pumping.

Do you normally go all night without nursing your daughter? If you're prone to plugged ducts you may need to pump more frequently when apart from baby to prevent recurrences. And/or try to avoid being apart from daughter overnight. I know it's nice to be able to sleep through the night but nighttime nursing not only prevents plugged ducts, it also keeps supply up, especially for us working moms!

The clog may be close to the surface, in which case it may be visible, or there may be a nipple blister blocking the outlet (also visible), or the clogay be deeper in the breast in which case you aren't going to be able to see it.

Another technique which may help is dangle nursing: lay baby on her back and dangle the breast into her mouth from above. That gives the milk flow a gravity assist.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it went away. I nursed her doing the dangle nursing and I also read somewhere that her chin should be pointing in the direction of the clog. The area is now soft again but still so tender. Is that normal?

Yeah, I often feel a little sore for a while after a plugged duct is resolved. I think there's some soft tissue damage that needs to heal itself. Keep a close eye out for feeling achy or getting a temperature though - signs of mastitis.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Yeah, I often feel a little sore for a while after a plugged duct is resolved.
    Me too. Just had one this past week. Took a few days for the tenderness to go away.