Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple Pain

Default Nipple Pain

My little one is 6 months now and we have had no issues breastfeeding until now. My nipples are very sore and may be bruised (I'm not positive). Even when I am not nursing, they hurt. The pain feels like needles and the nipples feel hard. Any ideas what's going on and what to do about the pain?

Thanks!

Default Re: Nipple Pain

Thrush comes to mind.... Any white patches in baby's mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Thrush comes to mind.... Any white patches in baby's mouth?
    No, and she was just at the doctor on Wednesday and they looked in her mouth.

Well, if you see it, it helps make the diagnosis, but if you don't see it, it doesn't necessarily exclude thrush as a possibility. Here's the kelly mom link to painful nipples: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...nipples-older/. They mention thrush, blockage, hormonal changes (ie, ovulating or getting your period), trauma (for example baby biting - are LO's teeth coming in?), skin irritation, and latch and positioning. I guess if none of those seem to fit, and the pain continues, I would see your doc about whether you should be treated for thrush to see if it improves things. Baby would need to get treated too in that case.

One more possibility to explore: vasospasm http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Well, if you see it, it helps make the diagnosis, but if you don't see it, it doesn't necessarily exclude thrush as a possibility. Here's the kelly mom link to painful nipples: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...nipples-older/. They mention thrush, blockage, hormonal changes (ie, ovulating or getting your period), trauma (for example baby biting - are LO's teeth coming in?), skin irritation, and latch and positioning. I guess if none of those seem to fit, and the pain continues, I would see your doc about whether you should be treated for thrush to see if it improves things. Baby would need to get treated too in that case.
    She just got her two bottom teeth, but has not bitten me.

The doctor (did not see me) told me to do an over the counter 7 day treatment, so I started that. Her doctor told me that they wouldn't treat her unless she has symptoms.

I guess my whole breast hurts, not just the nipple and it is more of a deep, shooting pain. It is not constant; it comes and goes. And it actually feels better when I'm nursing than when I'm not nursing. I do have flaky, itchy areolas though...so I'm thinking it's thrush?

Seems reasonable to get treated for potential thrush given the flaking, itchiness, pain etc., then consider other causes if the pain doesn't resolve. HOWEVER, in order for thrush to be eradicated, both you and baby need to be treated, otherwise you'll be quickly re-infected. If the pediatrician is not on board with that, you might need to have your doctor actually SEE you and, if he/she thinks that it is thrush, then get on the phone with your pediatrician to coordinate treatment.

still.here just posted some good links about thrush in another thread that's going on. Here they are:
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

Or you could just add in an over the counter treatment for your baby. Using something like gentian violet on baby won't interfere with your own treatment. FWIW, the gentian violet worked better for us when treating thrush than the treatment prescribed by the pediatrician (nystatin).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks mama!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous