Re: HELP! Need some encouragement painful latch:(
Yes, time is the fix for many latch issues! A small baby with a small mouth can't easily get a big "bite" of breast. A larger baby with a larger mouth will have less trouble getting more breast into his mouth. Until the point where the baby's mouth is big enough, here are some things that may help:
- experiment with different nursing positions- some moms swear by the football hold for shallow latch issues, I personally had the most success with side-lying
- try the "sandwich technique"- you can google it or have your LC show you it. It's a good way to get the maximum amount of breast into a little mouth.
- support the breast throughout the feeding using your hand or a rolled-up washcloth tucked under the breast- this may prevent the baby from "slipping up" onto the nipple due to the breast dragging down on his little mouth
- stay warm, stay hydrated, and keep a heating pad/hot water bottle on hand to deal with the vasospasms from the Raynaud's
- if this really is Raynaud's, see your doctor! There's a medication called Nifedipine which is sometimes used to treat that condition.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"