Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Need some encouragement painful latch:(

Default HELP! Need some encouragement painful latch:(

Hello Everybody-
    I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have an eight week old little boy (my first). I have been exclusively breastfeeding and is gaining weight well. The latch looks
    good from the outside but it is excruciating most of the time. I have seen three lactation consultants, a lactation doctor, and a pediatric dentist and it's not improving.
    He had a procedure for a posterior tongue a little over a month ago.
    The last LC told me the next step is to try cranial sacral work. She also said that
    she may have felt another tongue tie behind the one that was taken away? Which
    sounds a bit strange to me since my little guy can stick his tongue out pretty far
    now. If thats true she said he may need another laser procedure to remove it.

Anyhow, after reading some of the posts on here I thought I would reach out for
    some help. Is it true that if you stick with it it will improve over time? As the baby gets bigger? I really don't want to put him through any more procedures or people poking around in his mouth and I really don't want to stop or pump and bottle
    feed if I don't have too. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!!
    Sunny

Default Re: HELP! Need some encouragement painful latch:(

Opps...should probably add that it feels like sandpaper when he is nursing, my nipple is sometimes creased and has the ol' lipstick shape and is a bit purple when I remove it, which I know means a shallow latch. I also have raynaud's (sp?)...ugg.
    p.s....never thought I would be writing about my nipples on a forum, welcome to motherhood

I am no expert, but can offer some encouragement, as I had similar pain for the first couple months of breastfeeding- the sandpaper feeling, lipstick nipples, and blanching.

Keep looking for solutions, but be aware that time may fix a lot of your problems. For me the pain peaked around 6-8 weeks, (i recall crying at 2 in the morning because he wanted to endlessly comfort nurse and the pain was so bad) but by the time my LO was 3 months old, breastfeeding was a breeze. Don't give up...it will get easier, soon.
    My son had a minor tongue tie, which I elected to treat with tongue exercises instead of laser surgery, as he could stick his tongue out past his lip. Then my doctor prescribed diflucan for thrush, even though baby and I had no obvious symptoms. I started taking lecithin for my recurrent milk blebs. I worked on ways to improve his latch with an IBCLC.

In the end I don't know exactly what fixed our problems. My nipple is still usually a little squished after nursing, my son still has a heart shaped tongue. But he is growing very well, and I have no more pain. Looking back, I think The problem may have been oversupply or OALD and he was latching shallow to slow the flow of milk, so maybe try nursing in a reclined position, so baby can control the flow better.

The nipple sandwich technique was VERY helpful in getting my son to latch deeper, (squishing the breast into a sandwich shape so baby can get more in his mouth)

Yes, time is the fix for many latch issues! A small baby with a small mouth can't easily get a big "bite" of breast. A larger baby with a larger mouth will have less trouble getting more breast into his mouth. Until the point where the baby's mouth is big enough, here are some things that may help:
    - experiment with different nursing positions- some moms swear by the football hold for shallow latch issues, I personally had the most success with side-lying
    - try the "sandwich technique"- you can google it or have your LC show you it. It's a good way to get the maximum amount of breast into a little mouth.
    - support the breast throughout the feeding using your hand or a rolled-up washcloth tucked under the breast- this may prevent the baby from "slipping up" onto the nipple due to the breast dragging down on his little mouth
    - stay warm, stay hydrated, and keep a heating pad/hot water bottle on hand to deal with the vasospasms from the Raynaud's
    - if this really is Raynaud's, see your doctor! There's a medication called Nifedipine which is sometimes used to treat that condition.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"