Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mammary Constriction Syndrome?

Default Re: Mammary Constriction Syndrome?

*Last few days she has been sleeping about 5 hours during the night and then only taking 1 breast so I did pump for that reason today and will probably have to if I want to keep getting that sleep. *That is about 3-3.5 oz there sp would build a good stash with that alone. *I didn't mark how much was in the bags I first started. *I was tired, it's hard to tell really if expressing into the bag, and my mom is her daycare with the only other child being my 3 yr old. *Even if there were only say 1oz per bag; although I know there is more, than I likely have over 25oz already. *I was think she'd need about 20oz / day but she's nervous about not having enough. *So we are going to do a few trial run days the week before I go back to help work out any kinks.

The *pump is new so no worries there. I wanted a fresh motor so didn't want used, plus I found out my insurance paid for part of it.

I gave my mom copies of both those resouces and we've talked about my overfeeding concerns. *We will just have to work though it. *She is old school and thinks I should be giving her rice cereal already LOL

Today I had none of the deep breast pain. *Maybe from not pumping much and/or leaning back and getting relaxed before feeding. *Also noted a few sessions where I had a second let down which hasn't happened before. *So obviously I was too up tight. *Latch I wasn't sure if that was the problem since I wasn't having any nipple problems/pain. But did take note thatprobably had been letting her nipple feed sometimes based on the lipstick shape so i am making her latchndeeper again and she seems fine with that too.

Thank for all ur help! *All you ladies r wonderful for providing free accessible help like this!

Default Re: Mammary Constriction Syndrome?

this all sounds really great! I am so happy you are finding ways to be more relaxed and comfortable breastfeeding. It’s so important.

I think maybe you and your mom are overestimating how much milk you will need to leave. Studies show that breastfed babies take somewhere between 25 and 35 ounces of breastmilk per 24 hour day. And once baby reaches that intake amount at somewhere around a month of age, it does not increase-that is how much an exclusively breastfed baby needs, whether they are 6 weeks old or 6 months old!

So a breastfed baby who is getting 20 ounces while mom is at work is getting more than half -possibly way more than half- their nutritional needs met NOTat the breast. this could negatively impact breastfeeding and milk production.

I think the rule of thumb is baby needs (approximately) 1.5 ounces for every hour you are not there. (Someone please correct me if that is wrong) So 20 ounces would be appropriate for a continuous separation of about 13 hours.

I think it is really great your kids get to be with Grandma while you are at work. But since breastfeeding is new to her and the infant feeding recommendations are different now then when she was a new mom, it may help her to know we are not just making stuff up, there really is now a ton of scientific evidence that exclusive breastfeeding/breastmilk is normal and healthiest for at least the first six months.

here is some more info for her if you think it would help: 'your grandchild is breastfed?': http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...sbreastfed.pdf

and breastfeeding-just good sense http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tgoodsense.pdf