Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain Questions

Default Re: Weight Gain Questions

If he is nursing 6hours straight AND drinking bottles while away from you, only gaining 2.5 oz a week is puzzling. I still am not sure to chalk it up to transfer because if he wasn't extracting it well while together, you wouldn't be producing it so well while away from each other. What else is going on? Is he more active than an average 3 month old? He he begun to roll? Because whie I am not worried because of his size, the slow weight gain actually sounds more like what we see from babies at around the 6 month point. When they get moving. And often babies that are more active when they are younger experience it sooner.

Way too lazy for formula

I don't feel like he is overly active. He doesn't roll over yet. When he is in his bouncer, he enjoys flailing his arms and legs around occasionally, but he isn't in it for more than maybe 30-40 min all day. It makes me almost wonder if he has something going on with his metabolism.

Is he healthy? Happy? Developing normally? If he is, you can probably not worry too much about metabolic issues. I think metabolic disease usually manifests itself as something beyond slow weight gain.

that's good to know. he is happy, alert, reaching milestones...

When are you going to check his weight again? Can we just look at it again in 2weeks? How much access do you have to the scale? You have worked SOO hard to get to this point, I'd hate for slow weight gain to throw you back into panic mode. I agree that it's slower than I'd like to see. But it is still a gain. AND it might have to to with simply catching up to the lack of supplement. Can you just check it in a another 2 weeks?

Way too lazy for formula

yeah. i have a scale at home, which probably contributes to my neuroticism

I will check it again in two weeks. thanks for your help in the meantime

Oh God. You have it at home? Have you been weighing him at every feed?!

Way too lazy for formula

Haha, no. i did at first to get an idea of how much he was getting. Now, Ionly weigh him once every few days.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; November 19th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

Ok, I HATE to encourage you, but since you have already did the research, what did you find? How much did he seem to be taking in per feed?

Way too lazy for formula

This was probably two months ago so I don't know what he would get now if we did weigh feed weighs and my son moved around so much that it was hard getting good numbers, but he would get between 2-3oz during his morning feeds and 1-1.5 during his afternoon feeds.