Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i want to try Domperidone, which brand? how much?

Default i want to try Domperidone, which brand? how much?

I have hypoplasia and low supply. I have tried all the traditional herbs and more milk brand products, teas and pumping constantly.

I just found 3 brands of Domperidone and I was wondering what brand people have tried and how it measured up to other galactagogues and how much they took daily.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: i want to try Domperidone, which brand? how much?

Giving advice about Dom on the forums (especially if you're in the US) is complicated because the FDA doesn't support its use.

Here's a website with some information from Dr. Jack Newman:
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-DGS

I took the recommended dose (3X 10 mg / 3 times per day). I think it had an effect (though it's hard to say because I was doing a lot of other things as well to try to increase supply). However, the first time I tried to wean off the medication, I did it too early/suddenly and had a serious drop in my supply. Make sure if you choose to wean yourself off of it that you do so slowly.

With regard to brands, I don't think one is better/worse than another as long as you trust the source - they should all be the same medicine. Ideally, you should be doing this in consultation with a doctor. Even in countries where it is used routinely for milk supply, it's a prescription medication.

I read up on why the fda hasnt approved it and i saw that they approved similar drugs that are used for reducing vomiting and nausea; domperidone's actual perscriptive purpose. Because approval of a drug is an expensive, lengthy process, the fda isnt motivated to test for approval redundant medicines not backed by major pharmaceutical companies. I read up on some negative test information done by one research group in some other country to find that the test involved high dosages of domperidone given intravenously in patients suffering from other health problems including heart conditions and the tests were not preformed with any scientific parameters like you expect to see...inconsistent monitoring, combinations with other drugs in varying dosages, inconclusive results...

anyway what i am trying to say, is I dont look to the US federal systems to test everything for me, especially since their approval of hundreds of drugs that are recalled and decend into lawer infomercial infamy...yaz, paxil, et...due to horrific side affects or high mortality rates in users.

My Doctor wont perscribe me domperidone because she could care less about lactation. she fed her children formula and said they are healthy adults to drive the point that breastmilk isnt that important home. she told me I was taking unnecessary risks with the several galactagogues I told her I was taking. She has misdiadnosed my ear infection as an infection and prescribed me dangerous antibiotics that made me sick when it was a mild rash...I guess I dont trust Medical people enough to involve them in my life much anymore.

I am sorry, I am ranting...I have heard the disclaimers and I still want to risk taking Dom. I also take risks with raw cows milk and eating eggs from my own back yard flock. I think disclaimers are resounding du to the high population of sue happy people.

did you ever up your dosage? did you eventually EBF?

-candice -

Sorry, wasn't trying to judge you - just wanted to make sure you were making an informed decision. FWIW, I also took dom while I was living in the US. In my case I was lucky enough to find a supportive doctor and a compounding pharmacist. Not sure what I would have done if I had not been so lucky.

I never upped the dosage and went on to be able to produce enough to be able to donate milk to other babies as well as feed my own. But my situation was pretty different from yours - my low supply was due to feeding problems at birth and delayed milk coming in (jaundiced baby, domino effect) rather than any underlying condition. Once my supply-and-demand was back on track, I was fine...

sorry, i am a little defensive these days, I dont have a lot of doctor support for my decisions, I got railed by my family for wanting to cloth diaper my baby, I have had a ridiculous time switching insurance companies this year. My sisters all breastfed their kids without problems but weren't totally supportive of my decision to continue on with my situation...I've become pretty hysterical dealing with this stuff at times.
    I've become a research nut, I even researched commercial dairy studies, goat farm lactation, prime mate mother/baby relationships...I looked into how several different cultures prepare for lactation and childcare....I try to make informed decisions, but i am willing to take some risks at this point from sheer desperation.
    I think i"ll start off ordering 1000 pills at 10mg each...Were you on any other galactagogues while on dom? did you notice any side affects?

-candice -

I did not notice any side effects. I don't think I was taking anything else at that point, except possibly some of the herbals. Don't quite remember anymore sorry!

I hope it's OK if I say one more thing (OK a couple things): I totally understand and respect your distrust of doctors given the difficulties you've had. But I hope you will keep trying to find someone that you can trust. And that you have a point where you will say "to heck with it, I need some help" (not hoping you reach that point, just hoping that you have a clear sense of where it is) and get that help wherever it comes from. The rule is "first feed the baby" (i.e. by whatever means you can). I know there are a lot of comments on the other thread about how you're really close and if you hang there you'll make it, but I worry that we don't have the whole picture. There's so only so much we can see over these forums. So I worry about all of us encouraging you to just keep at it when you keep telling us the baby is losing weight. I'm not saying they're wrong (they're some smart ladies), just that you are the best judge in your gut about whether your baby is doing OK or not. Sorry if that sounds preachy - it's not meant to be. Just coming from a place of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    The rule is "first feed the baby" (i.e. by whatever means you can). I know there are a lot of comments on the other thread about how you're really close and if you hang there you'll make it, but I worry that we don't have the whole picture. There's so only so much we can see over these forums. So I worry about all of us encouraging you to just keep at it when you keep telling us the baby is losing weight. I'm not saying they're wrong (they're some smart ladies), just that you are the best judge in your gut about whether your baby is doing OK or not. Sorry if that sounds preachy - it's not meant to be. Just coming from a place of concern.
    It's 4oz. Over three weeks. I am not sure "KEEPS Losing weight" is really fair Lisa. We have seen MANY a panicked women here over the years right at this point. When kids stop gaining because they get moving. I don't want him to lose weight. I've said that. And I am fine with her needing to supplement. But she is doing way more than she thought she could. I'd like to see what she can do with some Dome.

Way too lazy for formula

I think that i'll supplement less overall with dom. I doubt I'll be an EBF mom this time around but I am so looking forward to/instead of dreading BFing the next baby. The bottom line is with the encouragement and positivity I have gotten on here, even if more optimistic than probable, I have kept going, my supply has increased, I have been able to find domperidone for sale and I have been able to feel less guilty about supplementing with formula.

We weighed him tonight and he is back up to 17.8 lbs. Maybe the time of day wasn't in our favor. So he is doing ok with the minimal amount of formula I can force feed him. If I can get a BM donor, maybe it wont be so tough to supplement. I am hoping that will happen soon.

-candice -

I hear what you're saying, DJSmom, and I'm certainly not saying anyone here has done or said anything inappropriate or even given bad advice. Nor do I think you should stop giving that advice. I just get a little worried when someone has a real underlying issue (not just misinformed) and they don't have any health professionals on their end that they trust. As much as the folks here are incredibly knowledgeable, chatting over the internet like this can't take the place of real in-person support. I am not saying the support and advice she's getting here isn't valuable. Just that it shouldn't be considered a replacement for medical advice. That's not a disclaimer because I'm worried about legal liability, it's a concern that I have on a personal level because I've given advice to a mom.
    Last edited by @llli*manitobamommy; November 16th, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarity