Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More Questions about Pumping

Default More Questions about Pumping

I have a few questions about pumping.

My husband has been giving him a bottle of bm at night when he is home. He does great with this and takes the bottle well. My question is... LO has been drinking anywhere from 2-5 oz from the bottle. What should I do with the bm that he doesn't take. For instance, if he has a 4oz bottle and only drinks 2oz of that, can that milk be placed in the refrigerator and added to another bottle? Here is the kicker.... sometimes the bm in the bottle is from the night before when I pumped at that missed feeding and sometimes it is from the freezer stash?

Next, I will be going back to work within the next few weeks part-time and probably only working a few days out of the week. The days that I work, my LO will be with my MIL so I will need to be sure I have bottles prepared for those days. How should I go about pumping when I'm at home and away and how should I store these bottles of bm?

Default Re: More Questions about Pumping

Once baby starts a bottle, if he doesn't finish it at that sitting, you can save it for later, but you shouldn't combine it with other milk, and you can't keep it for too long (KellyMom says it is "probably safe to refrigerate and offer again within 1-2 hours, here's the link on milk handling and storage: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/ - though to be honest I think a lot of mamas will stretch that.) However, the best thing is to try to avoid that situation altogether by only putting a 2 oz of milk in the bottle to begin with. Then if baby wants more, put another 1/2 oz to 1 oz and offer that. And so on.
    A lot of people will freeze small amounts like that for just that reason. Once the freezed milk is thawed it's good for only a day, so you don't want to be thawing much more than what you need. The fresh milk that you pump is good for 3-8 days in the fridge so there's a little less urgency about baby drinking it right away.

In terms of when you go back to work: many moms who work full time will leave the milk they pumped that day to be consumed fresh the next day. For example, on Monday you pump, baby drinks that milk on Tuesday. Then on Friday, freeze the milk and use frozen on Monday if you have milk in your frozen stash you want to cycle through. If not, fine to leave the milk pumped on Friday in the fridge until Monday. If you're working part-time, you can still do something similar. For example, if you're working Tuesday and Friday, you can still easily leave the fresh milk pumped on Tuesday for Friday, and the fresh milk pumped on Friday for Tuesday. If you're pumping a bit more than what baby needs, freeze the extra. For the very first day you go to work, you'll want to leave milk, most likely frozen milk from a frozen milk stash you've built up (to do that, you can pump once/day, usually after the morning feeding, because that's when you have most milk. Don't worry if you don't get much output - you can leave in the fridge and combine chilled milk once you have a couple ounces you want to freeze).

Thanks for the information.

So for example, if I'm working on a Tuesday and will be away from baby for approximately 8 hours, I should pump while at work on that day and MIL can give LO those bottles on my next day at work, correct? Once I pump, how should I store the bottles until I can get home with them?

When I'm at work, I put my pumped milk container bottles in a small insulated cooler with an ice pack -- any small cooler will do, but I like a square or rectangular shape with a flat bottom, so that the bottles can be kept upright (personally bought a Kelty Toto, it's the perfect size for four 5 oz pump bottles). Some mamas will put the milk containers inside a lunch sack and store in the office fridge, if there's space. It's whatever you are most comfortable with, and works best for your office arrangement and pump set up

That's right, assuming your next day of work is less than a week away. If I think the milk is going to be sitting around for more than a week, then I freeze it. Or, for example, if you pump more than you think you might need, you can keep some of it fresh and freeze some - if needed MIL can always thaw the frozen. If you go that route, you might want to freeze in small amounts (for example, 2 oz) so that if she needs a little more, she doesn't have to thaw more than she needs.

In terms of storing the bottles, the best thing is to stick them in a fridge if you have one at work. If not, take a cooler pack - something insulated and some ice packs. The milk should be fine in there until you get home. (If you're shy about keeping bottles of breastmilk in a common fridge, you can store the bottles inside the cooler inside the fridge.) Here's the Kelly Mom link to breastmilk handling and storage, it tells you how long you can store milk at different temperatures and has additional advice for handling breastmilk (thawing, how long you can keep milk after it's thawed, how long you can keep milk after baby's started drinking it, etc):

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/