Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frenectomy Story

Default Re: Frenectomy Story

We have a new LC. I have not met her yet but she sounds more level headed. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from doing this procedure if it is called for. I would strongly recommend a 2nd opinion before proceeding with a 3rd or 4th degree tt if the baby is feeding well and is happy. There are risks involved. And in our case, the LC was militant about ignoring those risks and pushing for the procedure.

It sounds as if you and you and your wife are going to keep getting assistance breastfeeding. That is great. Please do not let this unhappy experience sour you on seeking needed breastfeeding help.

I have certainly heard of incidences where tt release caused no immediate improvement in latch or in the pain for mom, and in other cases, no improvement even over time. And it is my understanding that, especially for an 'older' baby, breastfeeding can get difficult before it gets better as baby needs to relearn to use his released tongue.

But if your baby has some ongoing injury to his oral cavity due to the procedure that is making it impossible for your baby to feed effectively or is causing your baby continued pain, I hope you are discussing these concerns with the doctor or dentist who did the procedure.

What you say about risks is very true-Of course there are risks with any procedure-there is always the risk a procedure is not done correctly. When we make these decisions as parents, we have to weigh the potential harm against the potential benefit and make our best choice with the information we have. It's so hard on a parent's heart when we wish we had made a different decision.

Again if you and your wife would like some input or support we are here to help.

Thank you, @llli*lllmeg.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprbaby View Post
    We have a new LC. I have not met her yet but she sounds more level headed. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from doing this procedure if it is called for. I would strongly recommend a 2nd opinion before proceeding with a 3rd or 4th degree tt if the baby is feeding well and is happy. There are risks involved. And in our case, the LC was militant about ignoring those risks and pushing for the procedure.
    Hopefully things will improve quickly with the new LC. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Please do write back to let us know how things are going...