Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing baby when no let down? Why no let down sometimes?

Default Fussing baby when no let down? Why no let down sometimes?

This is my 4th baby and I've always had well defined let down pain. Other than the pain I notice the change in the way the baby drinks.

I had a c-section just over 2 weeks ago and I noticed I had no let downs after returning home and no more involution pains or lochia when feeding either. Baby became more and more unsettled.

I have eventually regained the occasional let down, and baby is so much happier and settled as a result. I even have involution cramping and spotting from time to time now, which I think is a good thing.

But the issue is that it's not happening very often. I don't have a let down very often and the baby gets increasingly frustrated and won't sleep unless I've been able to feed him properly.

I phoned the hospital and the Midwife said that sometimes a C-Section can interfere with the natural process, but this has never happened to me before.

Does anybody know what I can do to encourage a letdown at every feed?

Default Re: Fussing baby when no let down? Why no let down sometime

How has baby's diaper output and weight gain been during this period?
    How does nursing feel? Does the baby have a good latch, or are you in pain when he nurses?
    Is baby sleepy at the breast; does he rapidly doze off and then spend a long period sucking shallowly?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Weight and output have both been good, if not prolific.

Nursing, he does try to use a tiny mouth which hurts, but I generally persist until he can give me a wide mouth. He's not great at opening his mouth wide. Yes, quite a bit of discomfort with feeding, although not intolerable, more of a grazed feel. This is the easiest early feeding I've experienced, as the first three were MUCH worse.

He can be sleepy at the breast, yes, but not always. He does do the long shallow sucking and I often have to remove him myself or he'd continue while asleep. I know I have milk and he gets it, but when there is no noticeable let down, he's much less happy. Today has been a particularly tough day, with about 4-6hrs of feeding and screaming in between.

Oh and thank you for your reply.

This is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. You're an experienced mom and you can evaluate breastfeeding with an expert eye, so you know the difference between a good latch and a bad one. So it's probably not a latch issue. And you say the baby isn't particularly sleepy.

Since diaper output and weight gain are good, I'm thinking that you may be having letdowns but not feeling them. And the constant feeding is just the norm for this particular baby. Some babies are just permanently latched on for the first few weeks. But you're such an experienced mom that I have to wonder how that could happen- you know how to identify when a baby is drinking and when he isn't.

Here's what I would do, in your shoes. First, call the midwife again, and ask her about the surgical report from the c-section. One thing that can inhibit milk production is retained placenta fragments- as long as there's a piece of placenta still in the uterus, the body behaves as if it is still pregnant and doesn't produce much milk. And ask her for a referral to a good lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. I think an in-person evaluation of breastfeeding is in order here.

One thing that can help with letdowns- at least in moms who are trying to relactate or who are inducing lactation- is an oxytocin nasal spray. That would be something to discuss with the IBCLC, if she and you determine that there really is some sort of letdown inhibition going on.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you again. I actually wondered exactly that, if I have retained placenta. I noticed I hadn't had any involution for a while, but I do notice it when I have consistent let-downs.

I'm wondering if it's normal to sometimes feel a strong let-down and other times not? I don't see my Obstetrician for 4 more weeks and I'm sure they'd not really be bothered by my current query, unless I were feverish and haemorrhaging. Been there, done that, unfortunately.

Totally normal to feel strong letdowns sometimes, weak letdowns at other times, and no letdowns at all at other times. The strength of the sensation often varies with the fullness of the breast: full breast = strong letdown sensation, emptier breast = weaker/absent sensation.

Don't let the OB off the hook here. Call him/her up and ask about the surgery. Was the placenta difficult to separate from the uterus? Did it come out in pieces? You'll probably have to leave a message, but your concern is VERY valid and deserves to be addressed. Feverish and hemorrhaging aren't the only postpartum complications your doctor should be concerned about.

Thank you. I will ring their office tomorrow and ask specifically about the placenta coming away. I have a day with heaps of cramping, heaps of discharge and noticeable let downs. On those days, baby is so settled.

I had a large amount today and I definitely notice the link with my baby's contentedness.

I came home with fever but I think it was more mastitis related, which abated each day to return, but eventually subsided without drama.

I do forget how long it can take to heal sometimes. I haven't lost any body weight either, since returning from the hospital, which is odd for me. Typically I lose weight slowly, but consistently for a period of time. I haven't been eating very much and all good quality food. I wondered if it's hormone related, and placenta related. Every experience of birth has been different for me, so I appreciate your knowledge.

Let us know how things go! I am curious to know what the doctor's response will be.