Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ugh! baby will not eat enough

Default Re: ugh! baby will not eat enough

i haven't tried supplementing him with breast milk in a while because i haven't been pumping since he has been eating almost every hour and throughout the night. He used to take the sns when i used to supplement brastmilk first than formula, he would down the breastmilk really fast. Formula always took longer.

The Milkshare website wont load the sharing part of the site. it let me register and donate money but the part of the site that deals with donations and recipients doesnt load. Is the donation part a scam? is the web address www.milkshare.birthingforlife.com? I typed in www.milkshare.com and it directed to that address immediately. did I just pay $20 to a scam site? ugh! I dont want to be any more frustrated...my baby is teething right now to make the general unrest worse.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

HOw long of a stretch is he giving you at night?

Way too lazy for formula

And nope not a scam. That is a real website and you should be able to find real help/donations there. You ofcourse assume the risk involved in non pastuerized milk from another human. But PLENTY of women have made real connections there and shared milk.

Way too lazy for formula

Also you could get Dome on that site. Which you can't usually get here because it's not usda approved. But totally works to increase supply.

Way too lazy for formula

really, REALLY? I can get domperid...? oh my gosh! I finally got through to the forum, its not a super intuitive site. I feel like I can finally breathe...really breathe... If I can try that to boost supply and stop using formula if I can connect with a donor, my worries will be over and the guilt will go away. Are you familiar with anyone who has had problems with unpasteurized milk?

I am excited for the potential to feed my baby all breastmilk and that more of it could come from me. I could nurse for a year even!

thank you so much, you have so many answers, everyone has been so supportive.

-candice -

Yeah. I went and investigated to make sure it was the site I thought it was. And I saw three people selling Dome. And no I don't know anyone who has had issues. Everyone I know who has been involved has found someone they trusted and it worked out. Or has been that person. A lot of women are there because they have oversupply or pumped way more than they can use and would rather donate than let it be wasted. But you will pay. Because you will always be expected to pay for transport up front.
    But listen, you are WAY closer than you think! Seriously. If you could simply MAKE 10 more oz a day you ARE DOING IT. ALL BY YOURSELF. I know you really believe you can't make all your own milk. But I want you to know, I am not convinced that is true. I think your child's persistence-INSISTENCE at staying at your breast is really making it happen. I think if he would happily take your supplement you NEVER EVER would have discovered you are capable of this much. I am pretty sure you could make more. Dome would certainly make that easier for you to realize.

Way too lazy for formula

Have you looked at Jack Newman's website? Search Jack Newman and breastfeeding doctor. He is a very well respected breastfeeding expert out of Canada who has LOTS of info on Dom. You can email him also...he responds very quickly.

Hi Mama! I know you are so frustrated, I'm so sorry. When you first came to us, you said you thought you made ~10 oz, right? And with pumping and extra boob time, you are now up to ~14 oz That's AWESOME!!!! I bet you if you just kept it up, you could get above 16 oz to be in the 24-32 range. And remember what we were saying before? You may have been over feeding him to begin with, so even though the 4 oz loss does seem daunting, he could just be adjusting to more mama milk and less formula. Like DJsmom said, he could also be lengthening and getting a little more mobile. Pumping is not going to drain you as efficiently as your baby, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but he is NURSING okay, right? He just doesn't like the SNS and the eye dropper.

You asked "Why isn't he hungrier?" - the truth of the matter is that you don't know 100% how much milk he is getting from you. Unless you have done more before and after feed weigh ins and have evidence that he is not taking in much milk, then you just have your pumping output to go by, which we have discussed is NOT a good indicator of milk supply, right? He may be getting as much as he needs!! If he is generally happy, making enough diapers (and we talked about diapers already and I think they were fine) and meeting his milestones, then there is a good chance he doesn't need to be hungrier! How often are you getting him on the boob now? If he will latch on and take ANY milk, I would get him on there as much as possible. Go on a "nursing vacation" - sit in a chair or in bed all day long and just nurse him as often as you or he wants. You could even do that a couple times, just to get your supply rocking and his belly full of milk.

I KNOW you can do this. You have already proven that your body can make more since you went from 10 to 14. It is not so out of the question that you can make a couple more oz with some more boob time. I'm sure you are exhausted and just want your boobs back, but you are doing SO well and I know that you have the will to get through this first year!!!

Yes I want my boobs back. I want to wear jeans and regular shirts again. I want to have time to lose weight... but my baby comes first as well as all the things that help me to feed him. I am going to try to get dom in December.

At the height of my pumping I was making about 15-16&1/2 oz a day. I pumped every hour and all through the night.. I supplemented everything at the breast in between pumpings. If he is effectively removing milk more efficiently, I may be at that point or even Aa little more and i just don't know. If I can get dom, it may push me over the threshold.

So my baby can get by with only 22oz? I thought minimum was 27oz. If the dom doesn't work I may only need to supplement 6 oz a day which would be 2 difficult feedings,making things easier. I could get 100 oz of donated milk and that would last half the month.

Question...my son falls asleep at the breast often, is that normal? Also sometimes he does this weird head dive where he is feeding and then forces his whole head into my upper breast and gets all cranky...is that just him trying for more letdowns or is he nuts?

-candice -

No. Not 22oz. That is where you are now. 24oz a day is the minimum. An oz an hour.

Way too lazy for formula