Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ugh! baby will not eat enough

Default ugh! baby will not eat enough

Ok I have been on here with multiple posts and I have gone into great detail about our situation. The bottom line is I have to supplement formula because I don't make enough milk to feed my son exclusively and I don't know anyone who is volunteering breastmilk to non special needs babies.

I am losing it because my baby will not take any form of supplementation without hell to pay. He will not feed from a bottle he wont use the sns without a huge fight, he is figuring out he can spit out food from an eyedropper. He is losing weight now and his fat belly is gone. He is maybe getting 8 oz of formula a day and I average about 14 oz of milk asfar as I have been able to gather from nursing weigh ins and pumping. So obviously 22 oz isn't cutting it.

How do you get a baby to eat? Can anyone suggest a way to get him to eat his supplement? I spend all day trying to feed him he eats at the breast and I try to supplement him inbetween but he gets so angry. I have tried different formulas, different temperatures, different environments, having my husband feed him with a bottle or eyedropper...my kid hates anything other than breastfeeding and he is losing weight because of it.

He just turned 5 months...can I just start food in another week and a half? Will that at least help?
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: ugh! baby will not eat enough

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that things are still going badly. I was really hoping you were starting to turn a corner there.

The recommendation is to wait until 6 months. However, there is no infant feeding police, and in your shoes I'd be considering trying it early also. The problem is, it might take a while before your little one is really into solids, and most solids have FEWER calories than breastmilk, and it's not clear how well he'd be digesting it at this point anyway. You could try feeding him some really high calorie foods and see what happens.

I assume you've been down the list of professionals and other advisors (local LLL, IBCLC, etc.). If you're baby's continuing to lose weight, you may need to get a doctor involved now. Wish I had better/more useful advice.

22 oz is not that far off. The average range is 24-32oz a day. With 32being A LOT. So you are only off by a couple of oz. How much weight has he actually lost? Belly fat being gone at this age could have more to do with lengthing and getting moving.
    Give us the stats. You have been doing weigh ins right? How much has he lost? In what time frame?

Way too lazy for formula

Ill continue breastfeeding throughout starting solids, I will try to breastfeed for as long as possible...as long as my supply stays above a couple oz and up to a year...at that point I think ive earned a break. The reason I suggested solids is: 1) because I know almost nothing about that whole subject, 2) I was hoping he would be eager to eat something more than drink formula and 3) because I want to try something else to give him nourishment and I am running out of options.

Is there any other way to get my baby to like his supplement? Should I refuse him breastmilk for a few days and pump during that time to keep up my supply?

We just switched insurance again and I need to find a new Dr. I am so nervous and leery though because we don't want to vaccinate him for hep b untilnhe is older and we have been kicked out of 1 doctors practice and refused by two other offices over the phone. I only know of one Dr. Who advocates our preference but he is an hour away and doesn't accept insurance....that's a whole other story.

-candice -

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    Should I refuse him breastmilk for a few days and pump during that time to keep up my supply?
    NO No no! DO NOT stop feeding him after you did all that work to get your supply up! He is doing a FAR better job extracting milk than the pump! FOR SURE.

Way too lazy for formula

Allright, so he is down to 17.4 ozfrom 17.8 and its been 3 weeks. He should have gained at least a little. Why isn't he hungrier? With formula, don't you have to feed more as they grow than EB babies?

Gosh, I'm so tired and I feel like I only come on here feeling emotional, negative, angry and weak. I want a vacation!

-candice -

Yeah. I'd like to see you less frustrated for sure. Where is that weight coming from? Did you get a scale? Or were those weigh ins on the same scale at least? How is he doing? Is he happy and meeting his milestones? Is he getting longer?
    Because 4oz.....Yeah I don't want him to lose weight but honestly MOST breastfed babies slow WAY Down on their weight gain in this time frame because they start moving. Is he rolling or up on all fours trying to crawl? My son when from gaining 14oz a week the 1st 4.5 months of his life to only gaining 3.5 oz a week. So from 4.5 to 9months he only gained 2lbs. So losing 4oz isn't good, but I don't think losing 4oz is repsonsible for the tummy chub going away. That is probably has more to do with getting longer. How is his head circumference?

Way too lazy for formula

As far as getting him to eat more, what about adding in some pumping sessions and supplementing with your own milk? Do you have any kind of freezer stash? Could you create just one 4oz bottle a day? That would put you over the line.
    And you know if you are willing to PAY for breastmilk you can probably get it on Milkshare. Sometimes just for the price of transport sometimes for more. The Leage doesn't reccommend sharing milk if it's not done through a bank. But people do it.

Way too lazy for formula

I used the same scale we have been using. He doesn't like being on his tummy...I probably should put him on his tummy more, so he isn't rolling on all fours yet. He is turning over and he has great hand eye coordination and has a 3 word vocabulary. I suppose he is meeting milestones and he is getting longer. I don't know what his head circumference is. I definitely don't have a freezer stash, not with my low supply, I give him all I can make every day.
    I don't like that banked milk is pasturized...that seems to defeat the purpose. Heating milk up to that temp affects the vitamin and mineral content. I don't think I can afford to buy breastmilk at what it goes for around here. Its usually 2 bucks an oz and up. I have looked into it though. I think I will check it again.
    I will try to pump tonight and see if he will eat that via eyedropper. I don't want to flip out if he wastes it though. Would it be weird if I substituted half the formula for goats milk which tastes much better?

-candice -

You can't supplement with anything other than formula or human milk at this point. So you are saying that even when you supplement with breastmilk, INSTEAD of formula he refuses it because it's not coming straight from your breasts? Is that right?
    Because you are SO CLOSE. SO CLOSE. I really think that you can do it. How long of a stretch is he giving you at night?

Way too lazy for formula