Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreasing milk supply or growth spurt?

Default Decreasing milk supply or growth spurt?

My DD will be 3 months old in 5 days. Up until now, she's normally just nursed at one breast per feeding, and has gained well. Yesterday she started wanting both breasts (ie, she'll fall asleep at the first breast, wake up when I go to burp her, then want more so I'll nurse her on the other breast). Still plenty of wet and poopy diapers, seems satisfied after the 2nd breast, she sleeps in bed with me and nurses on demand at night too. I've been on the minipill since 7 weeks pp. I'm wondering if this sudden change in her feeding is due to a growth spurt, or should I be worried that my supply is decreasing? If it's the latter, I don't want to go too long without dealing with it.

Default Re: Decreasing milk supply or growth spurt?

Tough to say exactly what's going on. 3 months is when a lot of babies go through a big growth spurt. But 3 months is also when a lot of moms see oversupply throttle back to more average supply. And the mini-pill could be giving your supply a hit. Whatever the explanation is for your baby suddenly wanting both breasts, you're dealing with this in just the right way: offering both breasts and nursing on demand. As long as you do that, you should be fine. If you're concerned, though, watch baby's diaper output (supply problems will show up there) and think about what alternate form of contraception you'd like to use if you decide to go off the mini-pill.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Decreasing milk supply or growth spurt?

Thanks mommal! I think it was just a growth spurt...she nursed pretty much constantly all afternoon and evening yesterday, and not so much today. She's sleepier today...busy processing, I guess! lol