Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spotting?!

Default Spotting?!

Not to be overly TMI, but I noticed some slightly colored discharge while wiping today. My LO is gaining at the bare minimum, but he was a very petite baby and the ped noted he is at the 3.6 %ile and is bordering the line between sufficient and supplement. Would this be cause for my cycle to start back up? Or is this normal?

Thank you!

Default Re: Spotting?!

I had spotting while breastfeeding in the early months, it's completely normal. What is your LO's diaper out put each day? How old is your LO? Are you EBF? Are you pumping?
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

A little spotting here and there is common. It may be your body's way of telling you that it's gearing up to have a fertile cycle. Or it may be a side effect of hormonal contraception (pill, mini-pill, patch, ring, Mirena IUD), if you're using that.

Often a mom's fertility will return when her baby starts sleeping long periods at night. 6 or more hours without nursing is usually enough to allow your estrogen levels to rise high enough to bring back your cycle. So if your baby is sleeping through, you might want to start waking him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had some spotting around 3 months pp and then again at 14 months. The 14 month spotting was a few weeks before my period came back.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby