Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to wean last feeding for two 1/2 year old twins

Default Trying to wean last feeding for two 1/2 year old twins

We are down to only the last feeding with my two 1/2 old twins. I was still nursing to sleep due to hubby's work schedule so it had been the last one. My son for the last several months has for the majority not fallen asleep anyways but his sister usually does. I started by every other night nursing to stay comfy. The last night I nursed they did not even get a letdown. Tonight it had been 48 hours and a few tears especially because I have had to work late lately and hubby is putting them to bed. How long could it be until my milk may dry up enough? I loved every minute but lately my nipples are sore and the supply tanks about 15 days a before before and after my period. I am hoping to avoid pumping since I haven't pumped since April but don't want to back up either.

Default Re: Trying to wean last feeding for two 1/2 year old twins

I doubt you'll back up given that you've been cutting back gradually.

I weaned gradually like you and didn't ever have to pump or even hand express to be comfortable. If you feel really full you can always try a hot shower and hand express just enough to release the pressure. I bet you don't have much issue.

If you're really serious about wanting to dry up what's left of your supply you can try cabbage leaves in your bra. It really does work. I did it when I had to wean suddenly and it was fast and effective. And if you're feeling uncomfortably engorged you can chill them or freeze them before you put them in your bra and it helps with the discomfort.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I do have some red cabbage in the fridge so ill have to try that. I got out my hand pump last night but still doing ok without pumping today. I got mastitis at the end with my first baby even though I was down to only one a day with her so I was a bit concerned. I feel like I actually wasn't filling but when they sucked they brought the milk down so perhaps a non issue.