Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Things to do before baby comes to get milk in sooner??

Default Things to do before baby comes to get milk in sooner??

Hi I am due Feb 1st with my 3 rd boy. My milk didn't come in for 2 wks with my other 2 and I had to supplement. I don't want to have to use formula again this time for the first 2 weeks. If I drink mothers milk tea and eat oatmeal starting a few weeks before baby is due do you think it will give me better chances of my milk coming in sooner?
    Or what else could I do?

I also didn't get much sleep or probably eat enough the last two times bc I had no help after babies were born. This time my mother in law is coming to stay and help me so rest and food should help this time around too. But has anyone heard of doing things to bring on milk sooner....I don't mean before he is born I want him to get colostrum just don't want to wait 2 wks for milk.
    Mommy of LJ March 2008 and Ian Aug 2010

Default Re: Things to do before baby comes to get milk in sooner??

As far as I know keeping baby skin to skin and bringing them to the breast as often as possible are the best things to do to stimulate milk supply.

There's really nothing you can do ahead of a baby's birth to bring milk in. Drinking tea and eating oatmeal won't hurt- though I would check the ingredients on the tea and make sure they're safe for the baby while he's in utero. What you can do ahead of time is to stock your fridge with heat-and-serve meals (like frozen casseroles), make sure you have lots of help around the house and with the kids even after your MIL goes home, and contact a lactation consultant (preferably an IBCLC), so that if you run into trouble you know where to turn for help.

It is not possible to bring your milk in before the baby is born. Hormones produced by the placenta inhibit milk production, and until the placenta is delivered, you're not going to produce mature milk. So nothing you do at this point is going to make you make milk.

Can you tell us a little more about your experience with your first 2 sons? Not having milk come in for 2 weeks is very, very unusual. Most women will produce milk within 2-5 days of birth, though milk production can be delayed by physiological issues like a retained placenta, and by routine but unnecessary supplementation with formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The best thing you can do to get your milk to come in in a timely manner is to put the baby to the breast early and often. A delay in milk coming in is most often due to early and unneeded interruptions in breast feeding (i.e., giving supplements). Having a csection and/or too much IV fluid during the delivery can also delay milk coming in; my daughter's milk was 5 days coming in, for example. 3 days is average; up to 5 days is acceptable. Longer than that, supplements likely came into play. Often moms are given bad advice by otherwise well-meaning people when they are vulnerable (just delivered, tired, hormonal, crying baby, etc) to "just give one bottle". That's a slippery slope to poor milk production.

TL;DR - breast feed within 1 hr of delivery if possible; don't supplement; no pacifiers/bottles. This is the best thing you can do to get your milk in quickly. Good luck!

ETA: or, what mommal said
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; November 14th, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Slow fingers on a mobile device.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I had to have c sections with my first two and I was def pumped full of IV fluid. I felt like a water balloon especially with my second. With my first he sucked my nipples off the first night we brought him home. He wanted to nurse for 3 hrs straight he wouldnt stop crying no matter what i did when i tried to take him off. I wasn't in pain and didn't know any better just figured I was being a good mommy nursing him and helping bring milk in he was happy I was happy. The next morning there was no pink left on my nipples it was all clear fatty tissue and he started to throw up coagulated blood...from my nipples. dr said I needed to heal so I pumped every two hrs for a week and I barely got anything so I suplemnted. I also drank mothers milk and took fenugreek but I could never pump more than a oz between the two breast. I cld never get him to latch again so I pumped and supplemented for almost 6 months.
    With #2 no latch issues and he nursed fine all day until the evening he wld seem I unsatisfyed so I only sup'd one bottle a night for the first two weeks. But I don't even wanna do that again. He turned out to have a dairy allergy. So idk if it took two weeks but that's when I started to feel let downs and get engorged.

It sound as if with your first baby, baby had a really bad latch leading to serious injury. And with the second nothing was wrong but you became understandably concerned about what sounds like normal newborn behavior.

Based on this history there is no reason to think you have some physical issue causing 'delayed lactogenesis' which is the big mouthful term for it taking longer than usual for mommas milk to become abundant.

Your body is already making the first milk, colustrum, while you are pregnant, which is all your baby will need for the first few days. It will be released from your breasts after birth when baby suckles, this happens due to hormones whether baby is born vaginally or via c-section. Healthy term or near term babies are not born starving, they are born well fed and hydrated. But they are born with a compelling need to suckle. It is normal for the newborn to NEED to nurse basically constantly and not get all that much for the first couple of days. After a few days, baby may continue to nurse extremely frequently for several weeks at least, but there is much more abundant milk.

All the sucking in the early hours and days does several important things. it helps baby poop out all that merconium asap. It stimulates & "empties" the breasts so mom starts making more and more milk-this is what will allow milk to become abundant by about day 3-5 typically-what is referred to as milk 'coming in' which may feel gradual or sudden to mom. It allows baby to learn how to latch and nurse when the breast is still soft and not full and (sometimes) more difficult to latch onto. And of course, nursing comforts a baby who is making the enormous adjustment from womb to world.

This is all by natures brilliant design. Unfortunately, it may get messed up if baby is not with mom shortly after birth or for any reason not able to nurse well and very frequently after birth. When this happens, then a mom will need to hand express and/or pump, very frequently, until baby can nurse or nurse well. if this is the situation, recently it was found that in the very early days, hand expression appears to work better than pumping for many moms. If pumping becomes necessary, mom needs a really good pump-hospital grade. And all mom can expect to express is drops the first couple days and then slowly increasing in volume.

I suggest you read up on what is normal in the early days and line up some reliable breastfeeding helpers who can help you if you have any unusual issues again, such as the painful latch and terrible latch injury you had with number one.

Are you having another c-section or a VBAC? Just fyi, while I certainly would strongly encourage a vbac if possible, just fyi I had all my babies via C-section and exclusively breastfed all three. I mention this because some moms think having a c-section has to negatively impact breastfeeding-the edema (being full of water) that you experienced, for example, is a biggy that can make latch very, very difficult-this happens with even ‘ordinary’ epidurals too-but there are many ways around that and it is temporary. While there are certainly different issues for c-section moms, there is no reason to think c-section would prevent you from nursing your baby just fine.

I am having another c section. I tried for a vbac with my second but after 28hrs of labor his heart rate went up and I ended up with c section. Some bad things happened in the c section that I can not try for a vbac according to all doctors around here.
    My first son was kept from me for four hours while I was in recovery. I was so upset. I chose a different hospital for my second son so he was allowed in recovery with me if I ended up there which I did. So I was able to nurse him soon after birth and I nursed him till he was 17m. This time I am going to a hospital that allows you to nurse while still in operating room and he stays with me in recovery as well. They are very pro breastfeeding and keeping baby in room with you. Nurseries are kept closed unless a mom has a good reason to ask them to keep the baby for her.

Btw I never had any pain nursing. Not even when my first son "sucked my nipples off". I kinda wish I did tho for that.

Thank you for all your advice. I am worrying less about my milk coming in on time.
    I am 28wks now and sometimes my nipples leak a little. Is that normal?...I don't remember that happening in my other pregnancies. And not when I hear a baby cry its just happened 2 or 3 times randomly.

Leaking colostrum at 28 weeks is totally normal, and a good sign that all is as it should be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So jealous of your hospital that lets you nurse in the OR!!! All 3 of mine been sections as well. #2 was the one I had the most trouble with (weight loss, delay of milk, etc).
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Wow that is great you can be with baby right away, I had a similar experience, routine (uneeded) separation for 4 hours after my first cesarean birth, so for my next baby found a hospital with more breastfeeding supportive policies! And for my third baby, that same hospital was even better about helping breastfeeding moms. Progress is being made, slowly...

Wild it did not hurt to nurse when you were getting so badly injured. I wonder if the post op pain meds kept you from feeling what was going on? You might want to check to see if your hospital has a staff IBCLC or follow up care with an IBCLC btw. I also suggest looking into laid back positioning aka biological nurturing.

And I hope you have some help lined up for those little ones so you can have a little time to get breastfeeding off to a good start!