Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis and pressure from doc and family to wean

Default Mastitis and pressure from doc and family to wean

So I've had mastitis going on 8 times with my boy, who is 14 months old. I woke up with it again this morning, and I am now getting pressure from everyone to wean since he's over a year old. Any suggestions of what I can do to prevent this? I am a very healthy eater, and make sure I get enough water. He's not sleeping through the night, so I am pretty tired, but that's it.

I do not want to wean, I would like him to wean when he's ready, and he's no where NEAR ready yet.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Default Re: Mastitis and pressure from doc and family to wean

The WHO recommendations are to go to "at least two" or longer as Mom and baby prefer. Funny, they don't mention doctors or family members in that statement.

Simply, tell them no. I also wouldn't share any 'negatives' with those trying to pressure you. I wouldn't complain about being tired, because they'll blame breast feeding (where studies show that BF Mom's actually get more rest). You're a MOM, that's why you're tired.

Why is your doctor pressuring you?
    "The American Academy of Pediatrics reaffirms its recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant."
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My doc is pressuring me because I've had mastitis so many times. My husband is very pro bfing, but he's having a hard time because I keep getting sick, which is hard on him and my other two kiddos. I was just curious if there's something I can do to prevent the mastitis from reoccurring?

Is the mastitis actually getting cleared up? Are the infections recurring one right after the other, like as soon as you go off antibiotics it starts up again a few days later? Or are there months in between infections?

Do you have issues with plugged ducts? I've heard taking soy lecithin supplements can help with recurring plugged ducts.

What kind of bra are you wearing? Underwires or bras that are too constricting can contribute to plugged ducts.

Have you read the info available here?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Is the mastitis actually getting cleared up? Are the infections recurring one right after the other, like as soon as you go off antibiotics it starts up again a few days later? Or are there months in between infections?
    I have the same question.

At 14 months, you are already in the process of weaning your baby. Weaning is a slow process, when it happens naturally. Baby gradually takes in more and more solids and gradually reduces his breastmilk intake, and your supply gradually drops lower and lower and finally vanishes, usually around the time the baby stops nursing altogether though many moms continue to have a small amount of milk for weeks, months, or even years after nursing finally stops. The slow way, the natural way, is the way to go for a mom with recurrent mastitis. Stopping abruptly is a great way to get engorged, and being engorged puts you at increased risk of infection, a.k.a. mastitis. Wean nice and slow, the way you're doing it, and there's less likelihood of you getting sick again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post

Do you have issues with plugged ducts? I've heard taking soy lecithin supplements can help with recurring plugged ducts.
    If plugs are a problem for you I would recommend trying the lecithin (comes in capsule or liquid format). After 2 bouts of mastitis and several more plugged ducts, I started taking soy lecithin and never had an issue again.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

Thanks so much for the suggestions and feedback. I haven't had a problem with plugged ducts, just mastitis. I am hoping this will be it, and the antibiotics will clear it up.

I agree, I'm thinking you might need stronger antibiotics, not weaning!! Maybe your doctor is pressuring you to wean because that seems easier than doing the work of culturing you and figuring out what is going on with you!! Can you find a doctor who specializes in dealing with bacterial infections? I'm so sorry you're going through this, mastitis is AWFUL!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.