Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My darling now on solids but constipated - not enough BF?

Default Re: My darling now on solids but constipated - not enough BF

Yeah I hear you! I still feed her 3 times a night so it's more like 10 I guess but I think I've been over adventurous!

Sweet potato is a death sentence for "regularity" for my DD! She hasn't has sweet potato in about 6 or 7 weeks. It's just horrible, it takes forever to get through and her poop ends up coming out in wedges. I can tell she's uncomfortable. I also gave her a sippy cup with a little diluted juice when she's eating to help digest - this has really helped. But this is all in addition to nursing every 1.5 - 2 hours, so I don't mind giving her juice. She LOVES solids, I think she would eat veggies and fruits and cheerios during the day and nurse all night if she had the option!

I like the suggestion of backing off a little. We had to do this as well around the 7 month mark just to let things reset, get normal again, and then reintroduce some solids. I hear you, the doc gives you the go ahead and you just wanna start feeding them all sorts of yummy stuff!!

yeah, i don't know where these peds come from with their "3 meals a day" thing.... blehch.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I had the same problem with my LO, and it's been a long road trying to fight constipation. He actually didn't eat that much (he ate less than 2oz each meal at 7 months) but it was still constipating him. I cut back on solids and started giving him 2 meals only. I almost cut out all cereals for a while (specially baby cereal) and I gave him mostly fruits (no pears or apples or bananas) and lots of green vegetables. My doctor recomended adding a little bit of olive oil to his meals, which I think helped. I also gave him some diluted orange juice (although I know some doctor advise not to...) My baby was nursing a lot as well (more than 8 times a day) so I did actually introduced water after each meal. It got to a point when it got really bad and I cut all solids and tried to see if breast milk would bring him normal again, which it didn't 'cause apparently he kinda lost the sense of bowel movement, so to make a long story short he is now 10 months and he genuinely started eating more food which made him get regular. In retrospective I think I might have introduced solids too early for him . It seemed that he liked them but I think that he liked the "trying new things" not really the "eating" part". We tried a lot of things to get him out of the constipation cycle but I now think that he grew out of it because his body got ready for solids, not because of all the things we did, IMO. So I would also advise in nursing a little bit more and giving less food. Good luck!