Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very watery poops?

Default Very watery poops?

My 4.5 month old has had very watery poops the past couple weeks. She usually goes a few times a day and most are so watery that they soak completely into the diaper. Then every 2-3 days, she'll have a good sized poop that does contain some seediness. All poops range from green to yellow. Normal?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Very watery poops?

Hmmm. The extremely watery poops do not sound entirely normal for an exclusively breastfed baby. (Which is all I know about.) Any signs of illness, diaper rash, anything else out of the ordinary? Is baby getting anything-vitamins, medicine, water, anything-besides breastmilk?

Thanks for your reply. No signs of illness, no diaper rash, etc. She is EBF. Does get occasional hyland's teething tabs, but that's it. I, however, am on domperidone and more milk plus special blend, in addition to my prenatal vitamin. Could that be it?

I just found a Kellymom article on fenugreek and possible side effects in babies. It said it can cause green, watery stools...or, after milk supply increases, oversupply symptoms, like green watery stools, can appear.

I've been on it for around 2 months, though, so I'm a bit surprised to just see the watery poops the past 2-3 weeks?

Also, I guess I wouldn't be worried at all if I didn't see ANY poops between the good, seedy ones I'm seeing every 2-3 days...?

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any thoughts? The fenugreek explanation could be the answer, but is it odd that I've been on fenugreek for a couple months and am just seeing these watery poops the past few weeks? The best way to describe them is that they almost completely soak into the diaper - just leaving a sort of "film" on the surface. Similar to what I would guess it would look like if pepto bismol or milk or magnesia or something like that were poured into a diaper. No solid chunks at all. It's now been a few days since I've seen a diaper with any seediness. I'm sort of expecting/hoping for a huge blow out soon...

Is it enough of a concern that I should run it past her doc? Her belly is soft and she doesn't have any other symptoms.