Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning?

Default Pump weaning?

My baby will ne turning 1 y.o. in 2weeks. I am wanting to start pump weaning if possible. I started supplementing with cow's milk on my bad pump days that I didn't pump enough about a month ago, so I know she can tolerate that pretty well. So, my question is how do I go about this the right way and when I do pump wean is it going to effect my supply greatly? We are not ready to completely wean as of now.

Right now I pump 2 to 3 times a day depending on my schedule. The only time I feel full anymore is if there is a miracle and she sleeps all night (with 5 teeth coming in it is a rare occasion lol)

Default Re: Pump weaning?

The way I do it is to first cut back on my afternoon pumping session - first decrease the amount I pump, then eventually stop. Then do the same thing for my morning pumping session (I've always pumped twice/day). Yes, your supply will drop - that's the point! The idea is to regulate so that you're not needing to pump during the day. However, if you continue nursing mornings/evenings/overnight, then you should still keep up the supply you need for those times. As you're pump weaning, you can first use up any frozen milk you have saved during the day, then transition to cow's milk if that's what you're going to use. Or water during the day, if you feel like LO is getting plenty of milk from you while you're at home.