Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mostly BF 4 month old hasn't pooped in 4 days

Default Mostly BF 4 month old hasn't pooped in 4 days

Should I be concerned? My DS is mostly BF. I have gone through about one can of formula in 4 months, and the rest that he has eaten is BM. He hasn't pooped in 4-5 days now. The longest he did this before is 2 days. What do I need to be doing, if anything...

Default Re: Mostly BF 4 month old hasn't pooped in 4 days

My oldest pooped about once a week - huge, orange, pasty explosions of poo.

Have you started solids? What's the consistency of his stool (the one 4-5 days ago). Is he content otherwise? Not vomiting?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It's not a concern unless he appears to be in discomfort. My doc said they don't start to get concerned until day 7 and would only want to see them if they still haven't pooped by day 10.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

No need to worry until more than a week has passed. Have you used a lot of that single can of formula fairly recently, or has it just been a bottle here and there? I ask because formula is notorious for stopping babies up. So if you've been supplementing a lot in the last couple weeks, you might want to check in with your doc and see how long they'd let a formula-fed baby go poopless before they wanted him to come in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Our baby pooped EVERY day since he was born. Then, when he turned 4 months or so, he went about two weeks without pooping. I did so many Google searches! And then ... he just pooped one day. And now he goes every 1-3 days. Isn't it funny? We worry if they poop too much or too little... ahh, I can scarcely remember NOT thinking about poop this much.

Anyway, do not worry!

My LO has started a little bit on solids. He has applesauce and rice ceral. He only eats about 2-3 teaspoons. Will this make him constipated?? His poop before was "normal". It is seedy and yellow when he has more BM and the times when he gets formula it is more green and more peanut butter texture. Nothing out of the ordinary. His stomach isn't hard, he seems content. He is a smiley baby. I am hoping that the applesauce will make him go though.

mine pooped every other week for a while.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Both cereal and applesauce are constipating. Back off of solids until 6 months. Breastmilk is all babies need at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    Both cereal and applesauce are constipating. Back off of solids until 6 months. Breastmilk is all babies need at this point.
    No need for solids at this point. A touch of constipation is baby's tummy saying "I'm not ready for this stuff yet". If you're going to supplement, use formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My bub would sometimes go about 10 days at that age! One of the benefits of bf babies