Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for 24 mo. old while on business trip?

Default Pumping for 24 mo. old while on business trip?

My DS is 21 months right now. I need to go on a business trip to a conference in March, when he'll be 24.5 months old. The trip will probably be between 3-4 days, though I will try to shorten that if I can. He still breastfeeds quite a lot (probably 5-8 times a day, including overnight). My freezer stash will be gone in the next month or two, and I don't pump at work any longer. I have two questions about this:

1) Do you think I need to leave some pumped milk for him while I'm gone?
    2) How often should I be pumping while I'm gone? Do I still need to pump every 2-3 hours, or can I just pump when I feel full since he's older?

Thanks!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Default Re: Pumping for 24 mo. old while on business trip?

1. I wouldn't bother leaving pumped milk if it would be a lot of effort, but it couldn't hurt if you have it around.
    2. Good question. I doubt you would need to pump every 2 hours, but as for how often, it depends on how much he is really getting when he nurses. At that age, it can be just a little sip/comfort nurse or a real meal. I would probably just rely on how my body is feeling if I were in your shoes, but make sure to at least pump a few times a day even if you're not getting fullness feelings to make sure you don't lose your supply entirely.

Default Re: Pumping for 24 mo. old while on business trip?

Here's what I did when I was gone for a few days when each of mine were around that age. I pumped 3x a day even though she/he was eating more than that. Once in the am before work, once around dinner time, and then right before bed. Neither of mine had any problems nursing when I came home. Oh, and I didn't leave any milk. Night time was rough, but by that age I don't think a cup of milk would emotionally help.