Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On the way to pump weaning

Default On the way to pump weaning

I'm ready to decrease pumping to 1x a day and hope to pump wean entirely over the next month or two, except for my overtime nights when I'm away for 14-15 hours a day or other unusual circumstances. I pumped this morning during my usual time and got so little milk, though (only 2 oz). I know I'll have days when I get home late and nursing might not be consistent from day to day. Do I need to be concerned about my supply? I know everyone says 3-5 times a day is enough, but I struggled with low supply in the beginning so want to make sure we're good up to the 2-year point at least.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: On the way to pump weaning

I haven't had any trouble and Trixie is 22 months old. I stopped pumping when she was 11 months old. However, she does nurse 3 to 5 times overnight - at least - so if your baby sleeps through the night, I'm not sure if that would change things.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She doesn't sleep through the night, but she usually only nurses 1x, occasionally 2x. So our schedule is usually:
    Pump before I leave for work (she is asleep when I leave and we don't wake her)
    Pump 2x a day at work
    Nurse when I get home around 4:00 (sometimes later)
    Nurse before bed (7:30-8:30 on average)
    1x overnight

Then on the weekends she nurses down for her naps. She also has times when she doesn't want to nurse, so there's the occasional skipped session.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I am in a similar position as you with regard to starting to pump wean...looks like our kiddos are about the same age! I don't know the answer to your question, but I think in your shoes, I would be careful about pump weaning altogether if you're only nursing about 3x per day (which is what it looks like from your schedule). That might not be enough to maintain much milk supply. (I defer to the more experienced LLLadies if they think it is). I nurse at least 6x per day--2x in the morning before work, at least 3x in the evening after I get home, and at least once overnight (my kiddo is a boob fanatic and I think my workdays are shorter than yours). Given how much we still nurse, I'm not as worried about pump weaning and my supply, but I am still pumping 1-2x per day at work and probably will continue that for a few more months. If I were going to be going down to nursing 3x per day only, I'd definitely be concerned about maintaining supply and would probably keep at least one pumping session for awhile longer. Just some thoughts from a fellow inexperienced mom. Feel free to take it or leave it
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Oops, forgot to mention I will be continuing the morning pumping until she weans or my schedule changes. Thank you, joshuas.mommy for pointing that out. My goof! But I was hoping to eventually cut out the work pumping session, after another month or two. But that would still only be about 3x a day nursing plus one pumping session, and I hate counting the overnight one because I get the feeling that at some point she's going to give that up. So maybe you're right -- I guess 1x a day at work isn't so bad. I just hope I get enough to make it worth it!