Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing positions for older babies?

Default Nursing positions for older babies?

Hi Mamas! So DD is starting to really hang off the boppy, and she's very wiggly and restless when nursing during the day. Are there some better positions I could try? If we don't have the boppy, but I have a secluded place to nurse, I sometimes try with her sitting up, but she thinks it's funny and pops off giggling. Night time is okay because she curls up around me and fits on the boppy fine. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Nursing positions for older babies?

I asked this same question not long ago and still haven't made any changes. I was going to attempt side-lying again, but it never seems like the right time. Plus, I nurse her in her room before bed on a rocking chair, so that's tough. Let me know if you find something that works. We frequently nurse in the car, and we have a 2-door Honda Civic (that thing's gotta go soon!) so I'm trying to figure out some alternatives. We've tried sitting up, but it only works if I have her propped against a chair arm or something and only seems to work on the right side.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

One thing that worked for me was doing a cradle hold and crossing my legs and leaning forward a bit, so that I could rest my hand (holding his butt) on my top leg. This kind of helped us through the phase where he was too big for a nursing pillow but to small to sit directly on my lap.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

That's a good one to try! One things I should mention is that I have pretty large boobs so I almost always have to support the breast she is on with one hand and then hold her back with the other. This is why I have relied on the boppy so much because I don't have both arms to support her!

That's almost exactly what I wrote in my post. We seem to have the same problem. We need a new pillow designed for us. Any creative Etsy people out there?
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Haha we're twins!!! Maybe a pillow with an extra hand? lmao I'd love to be able to ditch the pillow all together, but if it's not possible, then that's okay.

i stopped using the boppy a long time ago, my son had issues with reflux so he needed to be angled up, not on his side. before I kicked the boppy alltogether I used it wrapped around my side with just one of the ears (?) reaching around to my middle in front. I then would prop my son so he crossed in front of me with his legs on either side of my leg that was opposite from the breast I was nursing on. this supported his upper torso and I didnt have to hold him, the boppy and gravity did it as I leaned back a little. I didn't like how hard it was to move the boppy when I did switch sides. so I stopped using it and just stuffed a couch pillow slightly under my breast and he lays the same way with his shoulders and head propped up against the breast. this helps with his reflux and his gas (a side affect of galactagogues and...broccoli).

He really likes nursing laying down too, but he is starting to wiggle from his side to his back and flail his arms and crawl up me with his feet. I go crazy when I wake up to moist baby toes burrowing into my thighs, and pulling on my underwear or nighty.
    I hope that positioning works with your physiques.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

I stopped using my boppy around 6months in because mine was covered in fleece and it was summer and he sweat when he ate. We just started using a down pillow from our bed which could be totally mashed and moved around to to just prop up his head.

Way too lazy for formula

okay cool! Thanks mamas