Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anti depressants and BFing

Default Anti depressants and BFing

What ones are safest? Is there a website I can read about the different effects they may have SPECIFICALLY for BFing moms and babies?

Default Re: Anti depressants and BFing

“We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Anti depressants and BFing

Agree with PP's recommendation to check out InfantRisk. Anecdotally, I will tell you that I took Prozac all the way through my pregnancy with DS and the entire time I've been breastfeeding, and despite the fact that InfantRisk says that's one of the ones that is passed more through the milk compared to say, Paxil or Celexa, DS has had no problems whatsoever. My OB and DS's pediatrician were both aware that I was taking Prozac throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding and agreed that given my history of relapsing depression when I go off Prozac, it was best overall for me to stay on it. I didn't realize until he was about 6 months old that Prozac was passed more through the milk than some of the alternatives, or I might have switched to a different antidepressant, but since he was no longer a newborn and seems to be doing beautifully with no side effects, and Prozac works well for me, I've stuck with it. I think which antidepressant matters more with a newborn, and is less important with an older baby who has a more mature liver which is better able to process the meds. Anyway, I don't think there's as much to be afraid of with regard to antidepressants and breastfeeding as many people seem to think there is. My son is doing absolutely great, very happy little guy, ahead of schedule developmentally, and gaining weight beautifully. So if you think you need antidepressants for your own sake, do it. A baby needs a happy mommy! A happy mommy is a better mommy. Plus, you deserve to be happy too!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!