Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS and hating spoon!

Default BLS and hating spoon!

My daughter is 8 months old and refuses to eat anything she can't put in her mouth herself, which is just fine, but I need options! I feel like she eats the same thing everyday! She has trouble picking up most fruit, so how do we get her to get them in her diet? She refuses to eat anything from spoon, so she won't purees, which like I said was fine, but I can't get her eating fruits. She loves green beans, carrots, spinach, brussel sprouts, cherrio's, etc....she just gets frustrated when she tries pick up fruits and they slip right through her hands

Default Re: BLS and hating spoon!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. She'll get better at holding onto things and you'll be able to introduce her to more variety. It sounds like she's getting a good amount of veggies, so I wouldn't worry about fruit. Just keep trying and she'll get it eventually.

If you press on the tip of a banana it splits into three long pieces that are perfect for holding in tiny hands. Also, berries of all kinds are fun for them to try to pick up.

ETA: oh, and I've heard some people recommend tossing slippery fruits in unhydrated rice cereal to make them easier to pick up. Never tried it myself because we never had any cereal, but I hear it works.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My LO hates slippery foods, too. We did really well with melon when it was in season. It's not usually excessively slippery. Apples are going well, also. But I also feel like there's not as much variety in her diet as I'd like. I can't wait until utensils are an option.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

Apples, Hard pears, Watermelon, all in Frenchfry shaped cuts. Also Banana split into thirds.

Way too lazy for formula

Blueberries are a good option, but I agree, its not a big deal. My daughters favorite thing is a whole peeled apple. I core it for her and its easier for her to handle. She will happily gnaw little bits off of it until I take it from her (usually because she gets too close the center and starts biting off bigger chunks, you do have to watch closely with this). Also, as her pincer grasp gets more accurate, she may be more willing to go for fruits.