Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: snot

Default snot

Wise mamas:

My 5.5 month old has been stuffed up the last couple of nights. She starts rooting around to nurse at night and then tries to latch over and over and apparently can't nurse because she can't breathe through her nose. And then she gets frustrated so I've cleared out her nose by squirting saline drops into her nostrils, waiting a few minutes and then go in there repeatedly with the nasal aspirator. She hates it and I have to hold her head as still as I can while she squirms and tries to get away, she cries, the whole thing.

Is this normal and is there a better way to manage it?

Does breast milk work better? I find I don't have good enough aim to squirt it directly into her nose, but I could put some in a syringe.

Also, we've been using a humidifier the last couple of weeks since we turned on the heat--is that making it better or worse?

Default Re: snot

I would pump and put the breastmilk in an eye dropper and drop it into her nose.

Way too lazy for formula

The humidifier is supposed to help. Runny noses with infants suck. Have you tried steaming up the bathroom and then nursing her upright in there?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What type of aspirator are you using? Bulb syringes suck and most babies really hate them. I had better luck using a Nosefrieda. http://www.target.com/p/nosefrida-na...al%20aspirator

poor baby.

Humidifier should help, or to really open things up, maybe run a hot shower and shut the bathroom door so it gets really steamy and take baby into the steam (not into the hot shower of course.) The saline is to keep the nasal passages moist. So breastmilk should work as well or better and would taste better. Bulbs never worked for me, I used them with baby number one and then never again. if you can get things runny with steam or moisture in the nostrils baby should at least be able to breathe. Also I have been known to simply pick baby's nose with my pinky whenever I have something close enough to the edge to grip...or is that tmi?

i have taken DS into the shower with me since 2 weeks ... in fact this week is the first time he's actually had a BATH as he has an ear infection and bath seems to be soothing. and hot (not too hot!) showers do help congestion.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks all. Last night I used a little syringe to squirt a few drops of breastmilk instead of the saline I had been using and it seemed to work much better and I'm sure was much more pleasant than for her. She was still mad at me for sticking it in her nose. I didn't have to use to bulb syringe after that, either, which is the worst part and not all that effective. I might buy the Nosefreida if this goes on too much longer. I keep hearing good things. I couldn't bring myself to get us both up out of bed and run a shower at 3 am but maybe we'll try that tonight. She is only stuffy at night.

I bought a Nosefreida just last week. It seemed to work well, but be careful. DD was only a little stuffed up when I decided to experiment with it. She definitely found it funny, unlike the bulb syringe. But after sucking for a few seconds I saw some blood and then felt terribly guilty and put it away to wait until she really needed it. It's probably great if baby's really stuffy, but for little amounts it might be too powerful.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Aww, talk about mom guilt! I'm sure she didn't even know what was going on. When the air is dry it's easy to get a little bit of a bloody nose if anything pokes up there.

Last night we slept with the humidifier off (DH said it was feeling a little damp in the bedroom) and for the first night this week she did not have a stuffy nose! Go figure!! So finally we all slept and nursed well! Aaaaaahhhh.