Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare rant

Default Daycare rant

Ok. I've been living on this forum since I had my son in August. I went back to work on WEdnesday, and should have expected that it would present challenges. Background, he goes from 645am-4pm daily, and I send 5 3oz bottles. He has only consumed four of the five each day, one approximately every 2-3 hours.

Today when I went to pick him up, I'm given a letter that states that I must send bottles in 4-6oz quantities, and that bottles must be given in these quantities for optimum growth and development. This is a requirement of the food program that they have at the daycare, not a policy of theirs. I have explained that he doesn't need more than 3oz at a time, especially because he typically has one every 2 hours, and that giving him more than that at any one feeding will completely undermine the nursing relationship that i have struggled (and I mean STRUGGLED) to establish, as many of you know. I am able to get a doctor's note to be excused from this requirement, which I have already requested, but because of how IGNORANT everyone seems to be about breastfeeding, I'm afraid that he too will tell me that I need to feed in greater quantities.

I am so pissed right now. I WANT to breastfeed, and believe wholeheartedly that "breast is best", yet when I finally figure out a system and routine that works for us, another wrench is thrown in there. And, excuse me, but it's bull crap. Our society preaches behaviors in which it constantly undermines and I'm sick of it. They make it hard enough having to go back to work when our children are so young, this is just another hurdle that NO MOTHER SHOULD HAVE TO FACE.

OK. I think I'm done. Thank you.

Default Re: Daycare rant

Oh, I'd be incensed! Actually, I am incensed, on your behalf. I'd want to take that letter and stick it where the sun doesn't shine, IYKWIM. It sounds like complete and total BS, though if this is one of the USDA food programs I guess it's not too surprising since they do seem to have some rather rigid and ridiculous requirements.

I hope the doc gets back to you with an excuse note ASAP!

It is one of the USDA programs... Do you know what their reasoning is?

that is definitely weird. My daycare gets money from a state food program, so I'm not sure if USDA is involved, and they've never said anything like that to me.

I'm in CA too my DCP gets money from the food program and that has never been an issue for us. I would totally push it and require that she show you that in writing.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Here's the USDA food program guidelines: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/Pro...l_Patterns.htm

If you look under The "Infant Meal Pattern" heading, you'll see that it says "4-6 fluid ounces of formula or breastmilk" but that there's a footnote (3) saying "For some breastfed infants who regularly consume less than the minimum amount of breastmilk per feeding, a serving of less than the minimum amount of breastmilk may be offered, with additional breastmilk offered if the infant is still hungry". It seems like your DCP forgot to do the complete reading! So IMO there's definitely an out for you here.

Definitely take the part mommal quoted to the DCP. They need to know that it is not just your baby...that is how bf babies eat. The USDA guidelines are there to make sure they are offering enough food, but shouldn't be so rigidly applied that they mess up the feeding patterns of a baby that is clearly doing fine. And on the underlying issue...yes going back to work so soon really stinks (and I love my job)

Hang in there, I totally agree that it's ridiculous you have to deal with this (and ridiculous how little time we get off when we have our babies - I've ranted plenty about that too!). Hopefully one day our society will be more enlightened, until then we just have to do our best to stand up as best we can for what we need for ourselves and our babies.

I spoke with my provider just now. She confirms that it's untrue. What she said is that the provider gets 95 per month to menu plan a BF baby if there a full day, breakfast, lunch and snack. There is no volume requirement.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I will def be showing them the footnote. The issue I see is that I asked them to not feed him more than three oz per meal, and to offer a paci if he still acts hungry. he doesnt get a paci at home. They notoriously over feed the babies, so I thought I was safe by just making smaller bottles. I also know that DS will cry for more at the end of a bottle, and that the daycare will just keep stuffing his face. He will eat until he starts throwing up. And he is definitely a big comfort nurser. Just remembered, they wanted me to bring 4 6oz bottles of formula when my daughter first started going there.

Perhaps this is my cue to have the SAHM talk again with my DH.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; November 9th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.