Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough diapers but slow weight gain = Low supply?

Default Enough diapers but slow weight gain = Low supply?

I keep reading that if your LO has enough wet and dirty diapers, your supply is good. Can that still be true if their weight gain is slow?

Default Re: Enough diapers but slow weight gain = Low supply?

Yes, some babies are just small! There are plenty of babies who get lots to eat yet remain at the lower end of the charts; it's just in their genes to be smaller kids. However, there are also some babies who take in only just enough to produce the minimum number of wet/poopy diapers but not enough to grow well. If you're concerned, take a careful look at diaper output. If baby is borderline when it comes to pee output, and the poops are consistently green/greenish-brown, rare, and scanty (closer to a stain on the diaper than a tablespoon-ful), then you may have reason to worry about intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've got a lean daughter; she always measured small when she was new. Now that she is almost 14 months, she is showing that she is a lean and lanky girl. PP is right, it's just in your daughter's genes, try not to worry.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Thanks for the replies ladies!

My son has always had adequate diapers (usually 6-7), but his weight gain has been slow (3-5 oz. per week). I mentioned this in a post on the NB forum and it was suggested that he wasn't eating often enough (only 6-7 times a day). For the past 5 days I have been waking him so he eats 8-10 times a day and his diaper output has increased to 9-10 per day.

I wonder if he was just borderline like the PP mentioned. I am interested to see his weight this week.

I am BFAR so am just in disbelief that I might have an adequate supply!