Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I still increase my supply at 8 months and pumping?

Default Can I still increase my supply at 8 months and pumping?

I have been bf and pumping for over 8 months now. I have notices a drop in my supply over the last couple months. Since about 6 months, I am getting about half of what I was getting before and its taking me about 2 days to get a full bottle for my baby. Is there anyway to increase my supply? This is her daily schedule: nurse first thing in the morning, then cereal with fruit a few hours later, another nursing session or a bottle (if Im at work), lunch is cereal, veggies, and fruit, and then nursing a couple more times before bed.

Default Re: Can I still increase my supply at 8 months and pumping?

How much are you pumping out at one time? How much is in her bottle and how long are you at work?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Im getting anywhere from 1-2 oz in one sitting. Her bottles are 4.5 oz and Im at work 8-5... I pump twice a day now. My boss is having I guess issues with me pumping and saying its an inconvenience pretty much. Im not sure he has to follow the pumping law since we only have 6 employees... So Im SOL pretty much in that department.

Are you nursing her overnight? And do you work full time? If I'm understanding you correctly, she takes 9 ounces per day - which is appropriate - and you are pumping about 4.5 or so?

Can you pump in the car on the way to work? What kind of pump do you have and have you replaced all the membranes, etc. to make sure that your pump is operating correctly still?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Could you be pregnant?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I do nurse her when she wakes up in the middle of the night but I dont wake her up to feed her. During the day while Im at work she does have 1-2 bottles a day. Just depends on her mood I guess. In one day, depending on my body, I will get 3-4.5 oz. Lately, it has been 3-3.5. I have the Medela In Style. Everything seems to be working just fine as well. Does changing the membranes really have that much effect on the pumps? If so, how?

Not pregnant. Im actually on my period right now. I know that for sure has an effect on my supply but I have been having this problem for a couple months now...

Your period does have an effect on your supply and it's often difficult for women to build supply back up once their period is over. You have two options, I think: 1)get really aggressive about pumping more often and adding nursing sessions, if possible or 2)accept that you are going to need to start supplementing soon (from your freezer stash if you have one, or with formula if you don't). I know from personal experience that it's still possible to increase supply by pumping even with an older baby. I started running short when my son was around 10 months and I fixed the problem by going from 2 pumping sessions up to 3 sessions and was able to increase my output by several ounces that way. However, it sounds like that may not be an option with your job. Could you add a pumping session in the car on the way to or from work? That's my only suggestion. Also, if you're not already doing breast compressions while pumping and hand expression at the end of each session, adding those things in may help yield a little more milk. Also, it sounds like you're only nursing maybe 5x per day or so...increasing your nursing sessions while at home, if she will nurse more often, may help increase your supply overall. Good luck!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

The membranes are those little white flap things. They wear out over time and the suction will decrease, which will remove less milk. I would get some new ones and make sure that's not the problem.
    Tracie

Mommy to

another place to sneak in a pumping session that has worked well for me is after baby goes to bed at night