Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 2 mos. pregnant and trying to produce for my 8mo. old

Default Almost 2 mos. pregnant and trying to produce for my 8mo. old

Hello,

Just looking for any advice from anyone who may have breastfed an older child while pregnant with another. I work part time and in the last week my supply has dropped to almost to nonexistent. I've tried pumping more often, tried eating lots of oatmeal, extra calories and lots of water... not sure what else to do at this point. But I hate to give up. Any suggestions on what worked for others. I will try most anything at this point. Thanks for your time!!

Default Re: Almost 2 mos. pregnant and trying to produce for my 8mo.

Hi mama,

Unfortunately pregnancy is one of those situations where if you lose your supply, and a large percentage of moms do, there's really nothing you can do to get it back. It's hormonal. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop nursing entirely, but it is likely that you will need to supplement to make sure your older baby is getting what s/he needs nutritionally. It's possible to continue nursing (if you and your baby both want to) and when your milk comes in with the new baby you can tandem nurse both of them. Or if your older one stops nursing you can try putting him/her back on the breast later or just pump milk for him/her.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Almost 2 mos. pregnant and trying to produce for my 8mo.

It sucks, but it's true. My first two are 17 mos apart. I had to start supplementing with stored frozen EBM, and then formula, starting when my son was 10 mos (I was about 10 weeks along). By 11 mos, he didn't want to nurse anymore; I've known several women whose babies still nursed throughout the pregnancy.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos