Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caretaker feeding, bottle alternative

Default Re: Caretaker feeding, bottle alternative

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Pretty sure my type A friends would never consult this forum. They would assume they know it all.
    That's not true. There are million Type A personalities here. And they usually struggle in the beginning. Not because they think they know all the answers. But because they are not used to not being able to control everything. Their worlds falls apart when they have to sit in one spot and nurse and they can't control how dirty their house is. Or when they can't measure food. Or keep their baby on a schedule or routine. And there is of course, the forever trying to find the magic secret code make their kids sleep the way they KNOW they should. So yeah. Lots of type A personalities here.
    And the best advice they ever get, if they can actually accept the knowledge and experience of mothers who have walked the path before them, is to let it go. Don't watch the clock when you nurse, your baby's sleep patterns will change every 4-6 weeks no matter what you do, and when away from you, your baby WILL learn to eat another way when she learns it's the only way OR she will wait for you. It will only go one of two ways. And you can't really change it. But what we KNOW FOR SURE is that she won't starve to death. Plenty of babies DO reverse cycle. And CHOOSE to wait for their mothers. If they manage to get the same amount of nutrition in the 2nd half of the day, no harm no foul.
    No one here was discounting your love for your child. But in the same way that your love for her exceeds your expectation, accept that your EXPECTATIONS period can be your worst enemy. The person trying to help you upthread, was giving true BTDT EMPATHY. Because I can not tell you how many conversation we had here her 1st year about both her child outright refusing the bottle, AND when OMG would she ever SLEEP?!?! True Story. She came out of the other side and has another baby to boot. But she never could control the way her 1st daughter did those things. She is just trying to save you some heartache and frustration. We all want to see you succeed. Promise.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; November 12th, 2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Bottle not nursing.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes paced bottle feeding has been tried. Again the nanny did fine w/bottle feeding, DH has the struggle. DD is over 4 mos now so I've asked DH if he wants to try cup feeding. I also bought a small TUK sippy cup that has a soft silicone spout. It has several separate pieces - handles, cup, ring, 'nipple' aka spout. Looks like it was designed by someone who understands the transition whether from breast to sippy cup or bottle to sippy cup. We will watch the video, thanks.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

My point was that the Type A comment added no value. I don't know everything but I do know I picked the right path from the start choosing LLL as my shoulder to lean on. The only baby book I've ever bought was the womanly art of Breastfeeding and I joined LLL forums vs a more commercial group type because my instincts told me this is what fits me. i don't know how I knew it but my instincts also told me that all that stuff about sleep training being the best thing since sliced bread, don't let baby in your bed, use a paci to soothe, get on a schedule, etc was horse****. I guess I thought about the caveman era as well as every animal species and how they care for their young.

The best advice I got with respect to trying to control my life after childbirth was 'lower your expectations' and I did. The thing I commonly say when we're experiencing something new and frustrating with DD is that there are no original baby problems and that pretty much everything's normal.

If you end up trying that sippy cup, can you report back about how it works? I'm trying to get my LO to take EBM from a cup instead of a bottle now that she's 13 months. She's not having it -- although she loves drinking water from her sippy cup. We've tried a bunch of different cups, but this one looks very interesting.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    If you end up trying that sippy cup, can you report back about how it works? I'm trying to get my LO to take EBM from a cup instead of a bottle now that she's 13 months. She's not having it -- although she loves drinking water from her sippy cup. We've tried a bunch of different cups, but this one looks very interesting.
    Bought this one -NUK learner cup - at Target but haven't tried yet. http://www.nuk-usa.com/all-products/...arner-cup.aspx

We have that one, too, and it's a no-go with the EBM, which is funny because it's so bottle-like I'd think she wouldn't care. She usually prefers the kind with a straw for water and juice, but the EBM in the sippy cup is not happening for her!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I just tried the NUK learner cup w/silicone nipple (but it's flat like a sippy cup) at the end of a nursing / pumping session so the milk was fresh and warm. She drank like a pro for a couple of hits. Kind of lost interest then -- after all the handles and cup bottom might go in the mouth too! She's in the 4 month 'everything is a distraction' phase, which everyone here knows is so fun when nursing, so I'm calling it a success. Took her back to the breast after, no issue. Next test will be to see if it goes ok with DH or new nanny after our move.

Did you ever check your expressed milk for lipase? A lipase issue could explain why your baby was initially reluctant to take the bottle...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the thought but not possible that milk was liapsed for DH feeds but fine for Nanny feeds.
    How can I delete this thread?

You can't. It can be closed. But not deleted.

Way too lazy for formula