Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caretaker feeding, bottle alternative

Default Caretaker feeding, bottle alternative

I've decided it may be time for my DH to try an alternative to a bottle when he's feeding our 17 week old DD. The bottle experience has been pretty unsuccessful for them since they started it at 7.5 weeks. I need to know he can get her fed if necessary, especially since we are moving and we don't currently have childcare. The nanny we had was able to get DD to take a bottle, but there was definite nipple confusion when I got home from work each day, so that's another reason this is of interest. On the bright side I'm home again until we move and I start my new job, so lots of nursing going on right now. But we do need this to work as she is still a very frequent nurser and I can't risk even running an errand if we don't have a good solution.

The infant sippy cups seem to be recommended for 6 mos and up, but since he will be carefully feeding her should we try some? This one is pretty cool: http://www.booninc.com/products/Fluid Or do we keep it simple with a shot glass, egg cup, medicine spoon, syringe? (Dr Sears is the source there.) Thanks.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Caretaker feeding, bottle alternative

Are you usually home when he feeds her the bottle? How patient has he been?

I gather that you are quite Type A from your posts - and I understand that you want to know that this problem has been fixed. However, I think he's going to have just as much luck with the other feeding methods as he does with the bottle. When you were having issues with nipple confusion was he able to get her to take a bottle successfully? Have you guys ever tried a tiny cup?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I looked at that cup you linked. She would probably have to suck on it pretty hard. If she won't suck on a bottle, I'm not sure that she would suck on a sippy cup.

When Lilah was refusing bottles, we found it better for her to have a cup that milk poured out of.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you usually home when he feeds her the bottle? How patient has he been?

I gather that you are quite Type A from your posts - and I understand that you want to know that this problem has been fixed. However, I think he's going to have just as much luck with the other feeding methods as he does with the bottle. When you were having issues with nipple confusion was he able to get her to take a bottle successfully? Have you guys ever tried a tiny cup?
    I can't for the life of me figure out how your Type A comment adds value to the discussion.

That's what I'm thinking. DD took milk mixed with probiotics out of a medicine spoon back at 10 weeks and she was a total pro with it.

I didn't mean anything about it with the Type A thing. I'm that way myself, I meant to add that this is something that you can't force and you shouldn't get wound up about it, especially in advance.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I didn't mean anything about it with the Type A thing. I'm that way myself, I meant to add that this is something that you can't force and you shouldn't get wound up about it, especially in advance.
    We totally understand your concern, what with the new job starting soon and all, but since you're home at the moment... Maybe just enjoy the fact that you're able to nurse exclusively for the time being, and not worry over-much about whether baby will take the bottle in a few weeks, or if so, what bottle/cup/syringe/etc.? I mean, definitely try different options and see if one works, but don't let it get you down if nothing is working right now aside from nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You've never seen me or met me, yet were alike and you know my husband won't have success with any other method. Interesting. Pretty sure my type A friends would never consult this forum. They would assume they know it all.

I on the other hand am very new to motherhood and at age 43 admit I know nothing till I know it. I seek good advice from good sources (here, kellymom) and learn from it. I trust this forum because no one judges me for breastfeeding, feeding on demand, not setting a schedule, co-sleeping and babywearing. I love this little girl with all my heart - a type of love I never knew existed. I'd do anything to ease her distress and that distress is unfortunately extreme when dad tackles a bottle feeding. He does his best and understands being calm and patient is part of it, but after 10 weeks of trying the story ends the same way even though she took bottles from the nanny w/out issue. What if I have to leave the house and get delayed (going a year now w/out a dentist appt)? What if something were to happen to me? It's time to pursue alternatives.

Think I've got what I need from this string at this point.

I did not mean to offend you. You are here seeking answers because you don't know them. My daughter went to the babysitter for a MONTH without eating during the 10.5 hours she was away from me. She would grab onto me and nurse while crying every night when we got home. So I know a little bit about bottle refusal and I also know that having a stressed out mom around a stressed out dad while he's trying to feed a bottle to the baby does not help. I did not assume the answers to the questions that I asked, although I see that you think I did.
    Tracie

Mommy to

There is no doubt bottle refusal is very stressful for everyone. And there are differing opinions about if a baby needs to be introduced to bottles ahead of moms return to work or not. I don't know of any studies that shows if prior introduction helps or not?? if anyone does have such info I would be interested. It is my exp. talking to moms with this problem, that some babies just don't take to bottles well no matter how it is approached.

I think it is generally thought that if baby is around 4 months or older a sippy may be a viable alternative to bottles. I suppose you could certainly try it with a younger baby-it is a fairly typical solution to bottle refusal. Or what about a normal open cup? I know a wonderful lactation consultant who has talked a couple of dads down off the ledge (so to speak) with this option. my own husband had to do this recently for our baby. as long as the feeding is done slowly and carefully, even brand newborns can be fed via open cups and open cups are also used with success for bottle refusal.
    if cups sippy or otherwise don't work, has paced bottle feeding been tried?

paced bottle feeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

cup feeding (video taken during a lactation appt so mom has her breasts exposed just fyi. There are a couple youtube videos of dads cup feeding baby but I trust the technique here the best-the video is about 2/3ds down the page http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13