Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

Default Re: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

Yeah he always takes that 3 or 4 oz from a bottle in the evening, and still nurses after for at least 30 minutes, then he'll sleep for around 4 hours and then feed again.

Just a thought and not sure if this was covered elsewhere in this thread since I didn't get to read the whole thing...any chance he has any allergies? A woman I know here had a problem with her son gaining weight and growing overall, but he didn't seem to have a lot of other problems. It ended up he was allergic to a number of things she was eating, and since he was exclusively breastfed he just couldn't absorb the nutrients. She said no allergies run in her family so it was shocking to them, and this is her third child so never any problems before with breastfeeding. I know her case is different from yours, in that they've now realized he can't even be touched by some things without getting a rash. But weight/growth thing always stuck in my mind as something that's probably overlooked a lot.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    Just a thought and not sure if this was covered elsewhere in this thread since I didn't get to read the whole thing...any chance he has any allergies? A woman I know here had a problem with her son gaining weight and growing overall, but he didn't seem to have a lot of other problems. It ended up he was allergic to a number of things she was eating, and since he was exclusively breastfed he just couldn't absorb the nutrients. She said no allergies run in her family so it was shocking to them, and this is her third child so never any problems before with breastfeeding. I know her case is different from yours, in that they've now realized he can't even be touched by some things without getting a rash. But weight/growth thing always stuck in my mind as something that's probably overlooked a lot.
    How would I find out if he's allergic to anything?? I'm allergic to nickle and grass but I don't have any food allergies. :/

My son was diagnosed failure to thrive because of allergies and it was obvious that was the problem. If they aren't absorbing the food, it comes back out as diarrhea and mucousy and/or bloody poops. If you aren't seeing anything like that it's not likely to be the culprit. Some other signs of a food allergy/sensitivity are unexplained rashes, congestion, gastric distress, vomiting (not just spit up).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm struck by the comment that they're looking at the chart then looking at the child and it doesn't fit. Of course you want to do everything you can to have baby nurse well and frequently, but if the kid is happy, healthy, and has appropriate diapers, it is not time to freak out. IMO the baby is a much more important indicator than the chart. Think about it this way: if the chart looked great but the baby looked terrible, would you trust the chart? No. You would be figuring out what was wrong with the baby. Your GP said that she doesn't want to weigh again for 2 weeks. So you should also not change the plan for that time. nurse, nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. Snuggle your baby. Look into his eyes. Hold his tiny beautiful baby hands. IF (and that's a big if) your GP has concerns after 2 weeks, you can discuss your options at that point. Until then, enjoy your baby.

Is it possible that I could pump 4oz a day but still not make enough for him? I do pump from the side he's fed from less, so is that cheating?

It's very unlikely. Pumping 4 oz from just one breast is extremely good output! My only worry would be that you are maintaining high supply with the pump yet the baby isn't transferring milk well at the breast. But again, I'd stick with double-sided feedings for a while and see if things change in terms of weight gain before I went looking for more problems to worry about!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What a day! Well the lactation consultant said he's not actively feeding and swallowing for very long (we knew that) but there are a number of reasons why this might be. One, he has a slight tongue tie which EVERYONE has missed! He's been checked by 2 HVs, and a breastfeeding counsellor. So she's referring him to see if it needs snipping.

Also she recommended cranial osteopathy?? To align his jaw or something, but it's expensive as not available on the NHS, think it's an alternative therapy kinda thing. I think we'll only try that if nothing else works.

She also gave me some general advice on how to feed him effectively, positioning and breast compressions, mostly stuff that I'm doing already and to keep pumping. I've been prescribed domperidone to up my supply as he find it easier when my breasts are full and when they're not full he gets tired quickly and doesn't suck hard enough/well enough.

She sent me to the HV to get him weighed again and he's put on 4.5oz this week - yay! Especially impressed as he was quite sick 2 days, and I only started effective feeding on Monday. Hopefully all these little changes will start to really make a difference but he's going to be weighed again next Friday and if things aren't improving then I might have to supplement with formula short term. I don't mind doing that at all, but fingers crossed things will improve by next week anyway!