Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

Default Re: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Are you generally feeding on only one side? If there's a concern about weight gain, you'd want to be offering both breasts.
    Oh! See I've been told that because of the weight concern I should always put him back on the same breast if he has a break, so that he gets the creamier milk at the back.

In fact my HV said if he feeds again within 2 hours to put him back on the same breast, she seems really worried that he's only getting the watery milk.

There's so much conflicting info out there.

WHAT is with these HVs???!!! We have so many mamas come here with CRAZY breastfeeding advice from their HVs. And feeding on only one breast at a time is crazy, when there's a concern about weight. Using one breast per feeding or for more that one feeding in a row is called block feeding. It's what a mom does when she has oversupply, because leaving milk sitting in the unused breast cues the body to reduce supply.

When a baby has issues with weight gain, the quality of milk (i.e. proportion of hindmilk vs. foremilk) is of far less concern than the quantity of milk. A baby will grow well on foremilk alone, provided she gets enough of it. And there's really no such thing as foremilk and hindmilk- just milk. Relatively low in fat at the beginning of the feeding, relatively and progressively higher in fat as the breast empties. All milk contains everything a baby needs to grow and develop. So I would immediately go to nursing on both breasts, and see if anything changes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

wow, good catch mommal.

op i suggest you please report your experience with this hv. I don't think its her fault, i'm starting to think they must be improperly or under trained as regards normal breastfeeding. It can be confusing. sadly even pediatricians and breastfeeding helpers get this wrong sometimes too.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 14th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Argh! Thanks ladies that makes more sense. I'm so tired of all the conflicting advice from HVs and midwives!!! Really worried I'll have damaged my supply now.

I'm trying so hard!!

My baby has been feeding non-stop the last few days and I assumed it was a growth spurt, now I'm worrying that he's just trying to up my supply again.

You are trying hard, or you would have given up already! Don't let this discourage you. If your supply did take a hit, you can definitely bring it back up again by nursing on both breasts and nursing as often as baby is willing. And it sounds like he's willing, which is great!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Yeah he's definitely willing!! Ugh. Should I pump more as well to up my supply?

I wouldn't necessarily go down that road yet. Just nurse on both breasts at a feeding, nurse as much as possible, give it a few days, and see if anything changes. Could you possibly see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC?

I've been pumping some mornings anyway so OH can give him a bottle, we'll need to introduce one at some point so wanted him to be accustomed to taking a bottle. He always wants more from me after he's taken it though!

I don't know about seeing a lactation consultant. How would I go about it? And what would they do?

Oh and he's had less dirty nappies the last few days since I had this advice. I thought that it was a normal progression as he gets older, and he's still had lots of wet nappies, but now I'm really worried he hasn't been getting enough.

And what's worse is if he hasn't put on enough weight by Friday they want me to consider formula! Ugh ugh ugh