Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

Unhappy Dropped to 25th percentile :(

On Friday I weighed my 5 week old out of curiosity as they had the scales out at baby group... now I wish I hadn't.

At birth he was 3.87kg (8lb8.5oz) and he lost a lot in the first 3 days, he went down to 3.47kg and I worried so much, however he gained it back by 17 days old and they said they didn't need to weigh him regularly any more.

At baby group a couple of people with similar aged babies commented on how small he looks so I worried and got him weighed, and he's only 4.1kg (9lb). So he's only gained 7.5oz in over 2 weeks. The HV said not to worry but bring him back in a week, however she asked me how I felt about giving 1 bottle of formula! I said I'd be against it unless she really felt it was 100% necessary and she didn't push it, but it's really made me feel rubbish. I thought I was doing so well for my little boy but apparently not.

She checked his latch and he's perfect apparently, and then she asked me about his feeding habits.. she say he sounds like a 'snacker' as he feeds regularly but often falls asleep at the breast, she thinks he might not be getting enough hind milk, has anyone had this issue?

He was on the 50th% percentile line, now he's dropped to the 25th.

He has 2-3 full dirty nappies a day, maybe another one that's just stained yellow. They're mustard yellow and liquidy. Plenty of wet ones too.

Does it sound like a problem? I can't stop worrying.

Default Re: Dropped to 25th percentile :(

I wouldn't be too concerned. Both my kids dropped considerably in percentages after they were born. There are a lot of factors that can inflate birth weight and if you feel baby is happy, healthy, meeting milestones, things are probably just fine. Of course, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on things to make sure when there is any doubt. Since dirty diapers are so variable, it's best to count wet diapers. If you're getting 5-6 per day, your baby is getting plenty to eat.

It strikes me as odd that your HV would recommend a bottle of formula. Even if there was a problem, what good is a single bottle of formula going to do? If weight gain truly is a concern, there are many things you can do that don't involve supplementation. Here is an article that outlines a few of them.

Judging by the HV comment about hindmilk, I suspect she doesn't actually understand how breastfeeding works. There are typically signs if a baby is getting too much foremilk- green foamy poops, gassiness, excessive fussiness. But if you feel feedings might not be lasting long enough you could try changing positions or switching sides more often while nursing to encourage baby to stay awake. Or try some breast compressions while baby is still latched on- if the milk starts flowing again she'll probably start swallowing. If nothing else, just try offering the breast more often, even if she isn't acting hungry.

There is definitely no need to introduce formula at this time. Doing so would only hurt your milk supply and potentially give your baby nipple confusion.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with still.here that it sounds like the HV may not understand much about breastfeeding -

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angeloftroy View Post
    she say he sounds like a 'snacker' as he feeds regularly but often falls asleep at the breast
    That sounds like perfectly normal newborn behavior!
    I agree - no formula, just keep nursing, nursing, nursing. Keep counting diapers.

I also assume that different scales were used - so it's hard to say that your baby only gained 7.5 ounces in two weeks.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Before I made any conclusions about the baby's percentile, I'd want to see him weighed on the same scale as last time, in the same state of dress/undress. There can be significant differences in calibration between scales, and with young babies the difference between normal weight gain and not normal weight gain is measured in oz, not lbs. It's easy for scales to differ by more than that. My second kid measured 8 lbs, 6 oz on the midwife's scale, and around 7 lbs at the pediatrician's office 1 day later. So either my newborn lost over a pound (About 1/2 a kilo) in less than a day, or there was a big difference between the scales. I know it was the latter!

So basically, I think that if you're concerned you pop by the pediatrician/GP's office for a weigh-in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

as mommal says, it would be prudent to do another weight check on a scale you have used before, before thinking there might be a problem.
    if there is a problem please see an IBCLC if that is at all possible, and/or, contact your local LLL.
    A baby is not going to gain poorly because baby does not get enough so called hind milk. This is a myth. It is also a myth that there is anything wrong with a baby who snacks or falls asleep while nursing. These are generally normal behaviors.
    IF a healthy breastfed baby is gaining poorly, it is because baby is not getting enough breastmilk period. This happens due to 1)baby is not nursing often enough (a minimum of 10 times a 24 hour day would be normal at this age) 2) baby has difficulty extracting milk due to a poor latch or poor sucking skills or 3) mom does not make enough milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    as mommal says, it would be prudent to do another weight check on a scale you have used before, before thinking there might be a problem.
    if there is a problem please see an IBCLC if that is at all possible, and/or, contact your local LLL.
    A baby is not going to gain poorly because baby does not get enough so called hind milk. This is a myth. It is also a myth that there is anything wrong with a baby who snacks or falls asleep while nursing. These are generally normal behaviors.
    IF a healthy breastfed baby is gaining poorly, it is because baby is not getting enough breastmilk period. This happens due to 1)baby is not nursing often enough (a minimum of 10 times a 24 hour day would be normal at this age) 2) baby has difficulty extracting milk due to a poor latch or poor sucking skills or 3) mom does not make enough milk.
    Thanks, well we go to a breastfeeding group once a week and 2 HVs have checked his latch and say it's perfect. He nurses on and off all day so I never really know how many 'feeds' to say he has. :/ He sometimes has naps for a couple of hours but usually he feeds for at least 20/30mins every hour in the day with maybe one 2 hour gap, (occasionally but rarely he'll sleep for 3) then he takes a 4oz bottle of expressed breast milk at bedtime (around 10.30pm, we're trying to introduce 1 bottle with Dad a night so he won't refuse one later) but that never satisfies him so he still nurses for at least half an hour before sleeping for 4-6 hours and then waking to feed again. If it's 4 hours then he'll usually go back to sleep after a good (40min or so) feed, but if he sleeps for 6 (probably only does this once a week) then he's up for the day and will feed on and off for hours!

I try to pump the breast he isn't drinking from in the morning, to use for the evening bottle. I still offer him the pumped breast after he's done on the first one though as he always manages to get more than the pump can.

Does this all sound ok?

this all sounds fine assuming baby is gaining appropriately. I don't think there is a reason for daily pumping and bottles but as long as it is not interfering with breastfeeding or feeling overwhelming its fine. but never mind me, how do you think things are going? are you having any latch pain or any other concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    this all sounds fine assuming baby is gaining appropriately. I don't think there is a reason for daily pumping and bottles but as long as it is not interfering with breastfeeding or feeling overwhelming its fine. but never mind me, how do you think things are going? are you having any latch pain or any other concerns?
    The bottles are so he doesn't refuse them when I go back to work part time in a few months, I was told to introduce them before 6 weeks to reduce the chances of him refusing bottles. Also it's nice for daddy to feed him sometimes. It's not every day but a few times a week, he still much refers boobs though!

I've not had any problems with pain, even at the beginning he seemed to know what he was doing, I've not had any cracked nipples or anything. I thought everything was going well, the weight loss after birth was understandable as my milk didn't come in till day 4, but he regained it by 17 days old and I thought we were doing fine.

Are you generally feeding on only one side? If there's a concern about weight gain, you'd want to be offering both breasts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"