Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old new foods

Default 3 month old new foods

my son will be 4 months soon and im wondering if thats a good time to introduce cereal. im kind of sad about the thought that he is growing up and no longer depends on me to feed. even though i plan to still breastfeed exclusively, i wonder when i can add foods.

*by foods i mean infant cereal, purre foods.

Default Re: 3 month old new foods

The current recommendation is to wait until 6 months, so you have a couple more months to enjoy feeding your baby exclusively.

thanks i do enjoy it. i heard some people introduce cereal at 6 weeks! do u have kids? and if so when did u introduce solids. im just worried hes always hungry n worried im not producing enough milk

with manitobamommy. Solids are not recommended until 6 months. 3 months is way too early for solids, to say nothing of 6 weeks.

Until around 12 months, solids are for experimenting with new tastes, new textures, and new motor skills. Breastmilk (or formula) will meet all baby's nutritional needs. You don't want to replace breastmilk (or formula) with solids until at least 12 months.

Is there something that's making you worry that you're not making enough milk? If your baby is gaining weight, having lots of wet and poopy diapers and is generally happy, you're doing just fine! My baby is 3 months as well - there are some days that she IS more hungry. I thought maybe I was losing my supply, but I've come to realize that some days she eats more, nothing wrong with my supply!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*teresastan View Post
    thanks i do enjoy it. i heard some people introduce cereal at 6 weeks! do u have kids? and if so when did u introduce solids. im just worried hes always hungry n worried im not producing enough milk
    Yes, the "introduce cereal at 6 weeks" is very "old school" and not currently recommended - babies' guts are not developed well enough at that age to process the food.

I have 3 kids, almost-6 years, one 3 years, and one 3 month old. I'm not even thinking about food yet with the 3-month-old. With the other two, we started very gradually at 6 months with finger foods like avocado and banana, and some mashed up things like (ground) meat and oatmeal.

Worrying about not producing enough milk is a really common worry with new mothers and most of the time, there is really nothing to worry about. If you can tell us a bit more about why you are worried we might be able to put your mind at ease on that score or troubleshoot ways to increase your milk supply if need be. Introducing food early is usually not a good way to handle baby not getting enough breastmilk, since breastmilk is much easier to digest/higher nutritional content than most foods.