Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my baby get fat from being overfed?

Default Can my baby get fat from being overfed?

Hi,

My daughter will be 7 mo in a few days and I've noticed the past four to six weeks that she's really chubbed up a lot. She was previously in the 70th to 80th percentiles for both length and weight. At her most recent appointment, she was 24 inches and change and 18 pounds and a few ounces (don't recall the exact numbers off hand), but that put her in something like the 45th percentile for length while her weight percentile stayed relatively high.

I send about 12 ounces with her to daycare each day. My husband usually picks her up and gives her a bottle before I get home from work, but I realized he was giving her about 5 ounces. Despite this, she usually stops at about 4 ounces.

She has started eating some solids, but she actually takes in very little. Only the past week have we found a few foods that she seems to like and won't spit out.

Her pediatrician didn't seem concerned about the new height/weight discrepancy, but I'm worried if I should be. Is this just a normal fluctuation, or should I be concerned, or should we feed her less?

Default Re: Can my baby get fat from being overfed?

Both my kids have a pattern of gaining weight and then a few weeks/months later catching up in height. I wouldn't be concerned, especially if your pediatrician isn't.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Both my kids have a pattern of gaining weight and then a few weeks/months later catching up in height. I wouldn't be concerned, especially if your pediatrician isn't.
    Mine, too. They look chubby for a while and then they're skinny again and I am buying all new pants.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my son gained fast at first but now he's mostly gaining height and slimming down.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

i would not worry about the weight so much as how that amount of milk given to baby everyday might affect breastfeeding and milk production down the line. It is fine for your husband to feed baby a bottle if baby needs it and you won't be home for awhile, but generally it is suggested that baby be ready to nurse when mom gets home in order to keep as many feedings as possible at the breast.

this info may be helpful to you: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Thanks for the feedback. I guess i had been somewhat alarmed because she was fairly slender before.

Hi Meg,

Yes, I know that it's best for him to wait until I get home. Sometimes she's ravenous when he picks her up though, so I don't blame him for wanting to feed her then rather than wait with a screaming baby for an hour.