Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nappy count

Default Nappy count

I'm just wondering...at what age/stage do you stop counting wet/dirty nappies? Does the number expected ever change? And, do poopy & really wet nappies really count as 2? I've heard of heavy wetters, are there ever light wetters (i.e., those that are getting enough but have a lower output)?

Thanks!

Default Re: Nappy count

You can stop coutning after 6 weeks or so, or even earlier if breastfeeding is going really well. With my first I did diaper counts for about 2 months because we were having a very hard time nursing. With my second, I stopped counting after about 5 days because the baby had massive yellow poops at every single diaper change and was clearly getting enough to eat.

Poopy diapers can be counted as 2 because the poop usually masks some pee. If you're in doubt- and it's easy to miss a little newborn pee in a suber-absorbent disposable diaper- tuck a square of tissue paper in front of the baby's genital area. When the baby pees, the paper will be visibly wet.

Scanty pees in a very young baby- i.e. being a light wetter- I think it would at least be worth a very close look at whether or not that baby is getting enough to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You can stop coutning after 6 weeks or so, or even earlier if breastfeeding is going really well.

So I don't need to still be counting at 11.5 months?!

Nope.

Unless you have concerns about baby getting enough to eat. Then diaper counts become useful again, even with a much older baby. But they also become less reliable- baby's eating solids, maybe drinking water from a sippy cup, learning to hold in pee and poop in order to avoid discomfort...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I feel pretty sure he is getting enough to eat. My husband is just getting annoyed that I keep asking, "how wet was it?" and there is usually a drier (not dry) diaper every day, so it's good to know that's not a reason to freak out. I had never read when you should stop counting.

It will be a funny story to tell your LO when he's grown and a parent himself.