Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping after feeding

Default pumping after feeding

My daughter was just born yesterday at 36w 4d and is in the NICU for low blood sugar. So far she is latching and eating 2-3 hours for about 30 mins total at a time, but they also told me to pump after a feeding in case she isn't stimulating the milk to come in fast enough. So far after I feed her when I pump I only get a drop or two of colostrum in the pump- not even enough to drop to the collection bottle. Is that normal since it's after she is feeding? she seems to swallow while she eats so I thought she must get something. She is on an IV in the NICU and only recieved formula once to see if it would prevent going to the NICU, otherwise bf every 2-3 hours since birth

Default Re: pumping after feeding

That sounds totally normal. Colostrum comes out in really tiny amounts.

congrats! so sorry she's in the nicu and hope she comes out very very soon. sounds normal - i think most people don't pump enough colostrum to bottle feed.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I was in roughly the same situation when my DB was born and when I was pumping colostrum those first few days in the hospital, I would get just the tiniest droplets of colostrum and literally wipe it off the flanges with my fingertip and put it in my LO's mouth with my finger. Each day I got more and more and by day 3 I think maybe I had a couple of CCs that I could suck up with a syringe? I don't remember exactly. Do you have access to an IBCLC in the NICU? I worked with one there and after we were sent home and it was very helpful.

You are doing great!!! Keep up the good work!!!! Just keep putting baby to the breast as much as you can and pump pump pump. I know it is exhausting, especially with the stress of having your LO in the NICU, but you will be rewarded with an easy and relaxed breastfeeding relationship that will develop as your LO goes home from the hospital and you get settled in at home over the next few weeks. Hang in there!

Thanks everyone- I am hoping to talk to lactation consultant today- got a little more pumped today and DD is doing well.