Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 3 oz a decent feeding?

Default Is 3 oz a decent feeding?

Well according to the LC it isn't! I took my 5 month old to an LC at the insistence of the dr bc he is low on the growth charts. I had fed him before the appt bc he was crying and I'm not going to starve him for anyone. I told the LC this but she still wanted to do the weigh feed weigh to see what he was taking in. He consumed 3 oz from one breast and wouldn't take the other. The LC said that wasn't enough and I said the he looks satisfied. She claimed it was bc he was used to being hungry! She told me I needed to start giving him formula! When I refused she told me my supply was too low and told me to get a script to up it and she also gave me all these handouts about upping supply. I was fuming!! I ended up storming out and told her that people like her are why women don't bf period or give up early.

Default Re: Is 3 oz a decent feeding?

Yes. 3oz out of 1 breast is really good.

Way too lazy for formula

agree, 3 oz is good, but 1 snapshot isn't very reliable. is your son gaining well, just small, or is he not gaining?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    agree, 3 oz is good, but 1 snapshot isn't very reliable. is your son gaining well, just small, or is he not gaining?
    He's gaining slowly. He is happy, alert and meeting all milestones.

well, then, fume away at the LC i think more of them need to hear that they are undermining breastfeeding success.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree, I felt incredibly undermined by my LC who pushed the nipple shield and then couldn't help me get rid of it (I did get rid of it, though.) Sounds like your supply is totally awesome and as long as he is gaining, I don't think you should supplement. Do you feel like you are nursing frequently enough?

From about one month old until baby is eating solids well, babies need between 25 and 35 ounces of breastmilk a day. If your baby gets 3 ounces at every feeding, then as long as baby is nursing 10 times a day you could be sure baby is getting enough. But of course your baby may be taking more or less at each feeding, intake per nursing session would normally vary.

Suggesting that baby needs formula due to the results of one before and after weight check seems odd. And 3 ounces seems adequate anyway. Did she talk with you about ways to get more breastmilk into baby-possibly upping frequency of feedings, doing breast compressions, improving latch or sucking skills-anything?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizfairchild View Post
    I agree, I felt incredibly undermined by my LC who pushed the nipple shield and then couldn't help me get rid of it (I did get rid of it, though.) Sounds like your supply is totally awesome and as long as he is gaining, I don't think you should supplement. Do you feel like you are nursing frequently enough?
    He has plenty of diapers about 7-9 wets and 2-3 poos. We cosleep as well so he has access to the all you can eat buffet. He nurses about 10-12 times on average.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    From about one month old until baby is eating solids well, babies need between 25 and 35 ounces of breastmilk a day. If your baby gets 3 ounces at every feeding, then as long as baby is nursing 10 times a day you could be sure baby is getting enough. But of course your baby may be taking more or less at each feeding, intake per nursing session would normally vary.

Suggesting that baby needs formula due to the results of one before and after weight check seems odd. And 3 ounces seems adequate anyway. Did she talk with you about ways to get more breastmilk into baby-possibly upping frequency of feedings, doing breast compressions, improving latch or sucking skills-anything?
    She talked to me about supplementing with formula. I told her about my freezer full of milk, so if supplementing was needed he could still have BM. She then changed the subject to increasing my supply through Medications. It was the WORST experience I have ever had with an LC. I felt like I knew more about BF than she did.

He was evaluated by an infant nutritionist who watched him nurse and listened to him. She also played with him and talked with my about his development instead of weighing him after a feeding then concluding I was starving him to death.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eliots.momma View Post
    I felt like I knew more about BF than she did.
    Sounds like you do!!!