Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to give up and in tears

Default About to give up and in tears

My LO is 7 weeks and i have had nipple pain from the biginning. There are no visible issues with my nipples. They do get a little red but no cuts or lipstick shape. I do not understand why they still hurt. I thought i had thrush but i dont think so now. She latches just on the nipple and no matter wat i do it doesnt change. I am about to give up due to the never ending pain. Even when i am not feeding they feel really sensitive and somewhat painful. I want to continue breastfeeding. When i think about not breastfeeding anymore i cry because i will miss the bonding and closeness. I could go see an LC i guess but i do not know if she could help me. I think maybe my DD has a small mouth and this will get easier but after 7 painful weeks im starting to get discouraged. Someone please either help me or help me feel less like a failure. I know formula is not terrible as she gets it on the weekends but i would rather push it off full time for atleast three months. I know all you ladies are pro-breastfeeding but im hoping some of you have gone through this and can help me atleast feel better.

Default Re: About to give up and in tears

It sounds like you have a latch issue leading to the nipple pain. If so, a LC, preferably an IBCLC really should be able to help you get to the point where breastfeeding is NOT painful. I'd strongly encourage you to give it a shot. You can do this!

go call a LLL leader or an IBCLC who can look at your latch and help you in person. if you know people who can give you a recommendation to a good IBCLC, all the better. this level of pain is not right and not normal! i do wonder about the thrush; why do you think you don't have it?

and you can do this; if you've stuck it out through the hardest 7 weeks, and all this pain, you can fix things and continue on as long as you like. it is also likely to get easier any minute now, all by itself, as her mouth gets bigger, but really - having in-person support can mean the difference between quitting and keeping on.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Go see a LC (preferably an IBCLC)! If you're in so much pain that you're considering weaning, then you're the person that LCs and IBCLCs were invented for. I was also reluctant to see a LC when I had trouble nursing my firstborn, because I thought that breastfeeding was natural and therefore should also be easy. Which just isn't true: lots of things that are natural- mountain climbing! Marathon running! Childbirth!- are also very difficult and sometimes require skilled assistance.

I am also wondering what made you eliminate the possibility of thrush?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you having any nipple blanching? Has the baby been checked for tongue tie (both anterior and posterior) or a lip tie? Many ppl look for the anterior tongue tie only, but a posterior one can cause major issues. Same goes for the lip tie. This is a great site http://kiddsteeth.com/dental_topics....ior_tongue_tie and this one http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-d...-and-lip-ties/

No nipple blanching that i have noticed. I have been treated twice for thrush and still have pain. Me or LO have no other symptoms. My DH suggested pumping and bottle feeding until my nipples feel better but im afraid of creating all new problems like bottle preference. Right now she only gets a bottle on weekends when i am at work. I have a call out to my LC at the birth center i had my LO at but i probably wont hear back until tomorrow because of the holiday. Regardless i am going to stick with it through the pain because she is worth it. I just hope it gets better with time or with the help of my LC.

So when you pump, there's no pain? Or is it the same regardless?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No pain when i pump and less sensitivity after as well.

was baby also treated for thrush, at the same time that you were?

i agree with PPs -- no shame in seeing an LC, and you might be surprised by how much knowledge and insight they have. i swear some of them are wizards -- wizards! even when things are mostly going well you can still encounter challenges that an LC can help with ... so if you are really struggling, an LC might just be the key to setting your breastfeeding relationship on a whole new course. also, if the first LC you see isn't a perfect fit, try another, before you give up on the idea (or breastfeeding entirely!). just like any other care provider, they differ in approaches and personal styles, you might have to try on a few before finding the right fit.

after all you have been through, and your dedication and perseverance despite the challenges (kudos to you!), you deserve to have a pain-free breastfeeding experience with your baby. good luck mama - i hope the LC can help!

Yes the baby was also treated. Thank you for the support i will keep you guys posted when i head back from my LC. There is not horrible pain everytime and one is WAY more sore than the other. Funny part is the perkier, pointier nipple is the painful one and the flatter one only hurts a little bit. I would think the flatter one would hurt nore because she has to work harder to get it in her mouth.