Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does baby need an extra bottle?

Default Does baby need an extra bottle?

My lo is almost 8mo. She loves to eat. DH just gave her a bottle so I could work from home, and she took a nap. Sometimes when we're out, it's just easier to give her a bottle, than to NIP. I assume since I've lasted this long, I don't need to worry. But I am a little worried, because I'm not with her Monday-Wednesday during the day and only have time to pump once Mondays, 3x Tuesday 1-2X Wednesday, gone about 8 hrs Mon & Tues, only gone 5 hrs Wed. I feed on demand round the clock. Is it ok at this age to supplement feedings with additional bottles, while I'm with her? I don't want to pump while at home. I work from home on my days off, going back to school/online classes. It just bothered me that right after I fed her she would need a bottle, is that normal? Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by @llli*gwendlynsmom; November 10th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Default Re: Does baby need an extra bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gwendlynsmom View Post
    I assume since I've lasted this long, I don't need to worry.
    I wouldn't make this assumption. The physiology of breastfeeding is the same at 8 months as it is for a newborn: supply = demand. If you decrease demand by substituting bottles for nursing, supply will decrease (unless you pump to make up for the missed feeding).

Ok. I do NIP, but for example today I went to the mall and was getting my hair done, and had the baby with me. She was very good until the last couple minutes, and someone says "Where's her bottle, I'll give it to her." I felt like I should have had a bottle for her, but was able to nurse her a few minutes later. No one wants to hear a crying baby. She was fussy another night when out at a resaurant, and I NIP. Another family had a baby, and she told me, she pumps all the time so she can just give bottles. I would much rather nurse, I hate to pump. It's worth it to be able to provide the best for her, so my goal is to make it 12 months. I do worry sometimes, when my pump output isn't great, but she seems happy in general, so I think it's working so far. I was wondering, so thanks for the response.

I agree with you, I'd rather nurse than pump! I've always thought the hassle of pumping in order not to NIP was not worth it. So I just NIP. Sounds like you've got that down, so I wouldn't worry about what other people are doing. If it's working, don't mess with it! You're doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gwendlynsmom View Post
    She was very good until the last couple minutes, and someone says "Where's her bottle, I'll give it to her." I felt like I should have had a bottle for her
    This is where I would have said "I don't have a bottle for her, I'll just nurse her right here in the chair". Who cares what anyone thinks? And why risk your supply because of someone else's opinions?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"