Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there anything I can take to increase my milk production?

Exclamation Is there anything I can take to increase my milk production?

My son is 6 weeks old and when he was 2 weeks old he had to be put in a hardness because he had a fracture in his right leg and ever since then I could only breast feed him from the right breast, causing a decrease of milk production from my left side. I also had to supplement with formula. Now that his hardness is coming off soon I'm trying to get in back into breast feeding more than formula. Not sure if I can do that but I would like to try and if there is anything I can take to increase my milk production? Please need advise! Thank you.

Default Re: Is there anything I can take to increase my milk product

Hey mama! Congrats on your new little man! Best wishes for his continued recovery.
    I haven't taken anything special to increase my supply personally, but here are a few things I've read about on these forums: Fenugreek (saw it in pill/tablet form at Walgreens) and Mother's Milk Tea. Also oatmeal seems to increase production, which I love anyway, so my LO benefits as well!
    Another thing I'd suggest as a way to catch up is to nurse, nurse, nurse on both sides, but especially the left! Start with that side and if he gets frustrated, switch sides and then switch back after he's not sooo hungry anymore. If you can, get in bed, skin-to-skin with him for a whole day and just nurse whenever either of you wants/needs to. I'd do this more than once if you can; plus it'll get ya out of doing laundry and the dishes. (Family and friends can do that stuff anyway!)
    My DD sleeps with me and was little bitty since she was a month early, and I think being in such close contact and being able to nurse so easily has helped her catch up!
    Good luck!

Default Re: Is there anything I can take to increase my milk product

with the previous post. It is never too late to increase supply. Nursing more should be enough to bring your supply back up to where you need it to be. If you want to increase supply faster, get a pump and pump in addition to nursing. Fenugreek and oatmeal won't hurt and certainly may help!

This link explains how to wean off of formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"