Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 months FREAKING OUT over nightly meds

Default 3.5 months FREAKING OUT over nightly meds

Hello everyone,
    My 3.5 month old son is on antibiotic prophylaxis after a very early in life urinary tract and blood infection. He started out with amoxicillin and actually seemed to like it. If he was fussy at the beginning of a dose he would calm down when he got the meds and then nurse happily. At 3 months his doc switched him to nitrofurantoin to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistant bugs. The problem is that he HATES it. He gets totally ticked at me for putting that terrible stuff in his mouth. he has gained muscle control to spit a lot out rather than swallow it.

Tonight he nursed happily for a few minutes then I gave him the 2ml of meds through a dropper to the back of his cheek. He spit out a lot of the medicine then just screamed and screamed at me. He didn't want to latch at all for a while (5 minutes?) then he latched and nursed himself promptly to sleep.

Have any of you given meds to resistant little ones? Any tricks?

I am not at all worried about him health, weight, or nursing wise, just really hating med time each night. We have to continue this drug until he is 6 months.

Default Re: 3.5 months FREAKING OUT over nightly meds

Can you put the meds in a bottle of breastmilk and give it to him that way?

abx every night for more than 3 months?! omg. was his illness that severe or is this overuse of abx?

if necessary, then, you gotta do what you gotta do, even if he's unhappy about it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Unfortunately the meds are necessary We cleared up the initial infection, but the underlying structures that make him more prone to infection are still there. He needs some extra help while his body matures. The doctors are switching meds as he grows to make sure we have the most effective for his size/maturity and do all we can to avoid abx resistance. So switching meds is medically wise but it is a real pain in my tail b/c we switched from one he liked to one he hates. He just seems so mad about the whole process, so I am looking for magic tricks to get the stuff swallowed and get him nursing afterwards.

in my short time of experience with this (abx for a week or two post surgery at 7 months), and tylenol for teething occasionally, the faster i could get the meds down, the better. sometimes that means 2 of us - DH restrains his body and i get the meds in his cheek.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.